Need Help/Advice--What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a flame angel almost 2 weeks ago(2wks on Sat). He was healthy and eating well at the pet store and when I got him home was doing wonderfully in my quarentine tank for the first 2-3 days.

Then, I had real ammonia spike and have had trouble keeping ammonia down ever since. A day or so later I noticed what I thought was fin/tail rot. Very minor and very early. I concentrated on keeping ammonia down -- using both detox and water changes and started dosing Maracyn. Dosed 2 days UNTIL I realized the meds were expired. Took them back to the lfs and learned that their entire stock was expired. Rather than going with Maracyn-two, which they had in stock and not expired, they suggested treating with Melafix, which they said was a bit easier on the fish. Started that 3 days ago....BUT on that day during a water change, my heater broke and the temp dropped 5-10 degrees over night, ammonia also spiked again. 8O

NOW, the temp is stable, and ammonia is way down, and I'm continuing melafix. But my formerly happy healthy flame angel, is a washed out, and eating less. Fin and tail seem the same, perhaps a bit better.

He has had a tough 2 weeks! I'm thinking of just transfering him to my main tank now (actually tomorrow). My main tank is nice and stable, with really no flux in temp, ammonia, etc. I really think the instability of quarentine tank is the cause of all the problems.

What would you do :?:

Ideas soon...I really want to save this guy, but don't want to kill my clowns, shrimp, etc.

I would not transfer it over to the main tank at this stage. The fish is stressed from all the items you describe and moving it to the main tank could be bad if the fish's problems increase.

You dont want to be in a position where you have to treat the main tank because you cant get the fish out for treatment.

It sounds like your q-tank is back on the road to being stable.

Do you have any bio filtation on your q=tank? If not then i susupect your ammonia was due to feedings and fish waste. I do daily small water changes on my q-tanks to keep ammonia low or nonexistant.

I was given a fish once that was near death. I was able to return it back to health. Here are some of the things I always keep in mind when "doctoring" sick fish.

1. Keep it in a small hospital tank. That way you can do greater water changes.
2. I used only an airstone. This way I didn't have to worry about filtering out any of the meds. If you do more water changes, you don't need a filter. My Hospital tank was only 2.5 gals.
3. Maintain adequate temp. This will keep the fish from getting so stressed.
4. Put some cover (a small piece of 2" PVC works well) this will provide the fish with a hiding place. Stress will kill a fish.
5. Keep the tank in a out of the way area so that people aren't walking by.
6. Minimize feeding. Unless you can tell that the fish is eating

Some people may have diffent opinions. These have worked for me.

Good advice diverdude, if you dont mind I will add a little to what you said. I would consider 80-82 degrees and "adequate" tempature.

Also, when hospitaling a fish I have always kept the lights off until I got to the end of the quarintine or treatment. This keeps the fish less active. That way he rests more. Kind of like humans, when your sick the best thing to do is rest alot and allow your immune system to work.

Thank you both for the input. Some more facts based the above:
-- I'm using a 10 gallon for my Q/hospital tank and have been doing 2.5g water changes. I was going to use 5 g but thought the 10 might be more stable :oops:
-- I have a sponge filter that was working in my main tank for over 2 weeks, so I thought i had some bio filter, but now, I'm not so sure.
-- I was trying to maintain the temp, I just didn't count on the heater exploding (note: That warning about shutting it off before taking it out applies to water changes where you expose a good deal of it :cry: )
-- I have a pvc pipe in for hiding
-- Tank is in the basement and very out of the way. I don't have a light for it; but I put a lamp that is near it on for about 10-12 hours per day to simulate what it is use to.
-- I really only feed what it will eat. ie; offer very small amounts slowly.

So, can I do anything else. If you don't think I should move him yet, when should I?

thanks

Thanks for confirming I was shooting for 80-82 degrees. Interesting point about the lights. Anyone else have an opinion on that? Keep in mind that the tank is in basement gets some, but very little natural/day light.

Also, quick poll for everyone: How big is your Q/hospital tank ?

Back
Top Bottom