Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need help... Aggresive damsel!!

I bought 5 blue damsels about 2 months ago and after 2 days I had 4. After 3 more weeks I had only 3 swimming and as of Monday I only have 2.

I identified which one is the aggressor because he is now trying I kill the remaining damsel. I caught the aggressive one and returned him to my LFS and purchased 2 true clowns. Should I remove the remaining damsel or will he be okay since he is the only damsel and he was the passive one of the two? I don't want to lose the clowns... wife picked them out.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Damsels are highly aggressive fish. Personally, I'm just not a fan. I'd probably choose between the two type of fish. Clowns, or the damsel. Odds are the damsel will turn on the percs at some point.

I'd keep the clowns and return the damsel. Better safe than sorry and then you can get some other less aggressive and community friendly fish.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I never got into damsels bc everything I read had them as very aggressive. It also said if u add them to do it last so the the other fish had already picked their territory. I would just get rid of him IMO. . U don't want him messing with your clowns.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update: screw damsels. The second I put the 2 clowns in he went right after them, Mohawk fin flyin. Took me another 15 minutes to catch him probably stressed the clowns out more. Hope they survive the night. Right now one is on the far left just chillin by the power head and the other in on the far right swimming up an down the side glass. Is that normal?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah clowns do alot of crazy things. Their just checking out the tank. I wouldn't worry. Go idea on getting rid of the damsel.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just flushed a damsel down the toilet that had been beat up by my other damsel.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Turned off the lights and he is already starting to swim around more with his companion. I'm sticking with docile fish from now on. I think I'm just gonna leave the light out till tomorrow
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Turned off the lights and he is already starting to swim around more with his companion. I'm sticking with docile fish from now on. I think I'm just gonna leave the light out till tomorrow
Yup agreed. I think the only aggressive fish I would put in my reef would be a purple tang. But that's just b/c they look awesome. Otherwise, I stick to the nice guys.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had mine for about 10 months. I bought two of them. They were my first fishes in the tank. About two months ago the male got a little aggressive but only towards me not other tankmates. Whenever I scrub the walls with a pad or do a water change he nibbles at my hand. Lol. It doesnt hurt or anything. I'm not sure but I think he might have paired with the female so he's trying to protect her maybe. Not quite sure yet. They might be breeding too. Idk.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's very possible that they could breed. I had about 10 blue/green Chromis( a type of Damsel) in my tank for years, and 2 of them would dart off to the front corner and shimmy up the side together. They would leave all these whitish dots on the glass. Never saw any fry, but they were definitely breeding! Probably should have seperated the pair and tried to breed them, but that was too much to bite off at that time. Just saw It as a great natural food for everything else.

Tags
aggresive, damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com