Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need help catching a bi-colored pseudochromis in my 55gal.

Anyone have any ideas of catching a bi-colored pseudochromis in my 55gal? My friend wants him for his 75gal, and I wouldn't mind giving him up to him so that I can have some other things that my pseudochromis will eat.

I've tried making a food trap out of a 2 liter coke bottle (you know the one I mean, right?). I've also tried netting him, with NO luck.

Any suggestions? I've thought about dropping a bigger net down on the side of the tank and leaving it for a couple weeks. What I want to do is clip some food (using a veggie clip for my tang) on the inside of the net. I'm sure if the net is there for two weeks, and I keep adding food- he'll get used to the net and start feeding from the clip...and then WHOOSH! I'll net him up. Think it'll work?

If you all have any other ideas, please let me know.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The net in the tank was going to be my suggestion. It seems you already have it covered.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had the same problem! My sister bought me a "present" and got me a bi color. Problem was, the little bastard was harassing my other fish and shrimp. So I used a home made bristle worm trap to get him out. I used a 1 liter soda bottle. Cut the top off where it starts to curve at the top. Invert the top and and it should fit perfectly back into the bottle, kinda like a funnel. Mine wasn't very snug so I put 1 staple in to keep the top from coming out. With the staple in it, the top will swing open like a garage door. Once that's done just put some food in, submerge the bottle. It didn't take long for the bi-color to find his way in. But I'm sure you could leave it in over night if necessary. Then just slide your net over the open end of the bottle so as not to lose the fish, and then remove the bottle. You may also trap some other critters (bristle worms, snails, etc.) Fish out the fish and put any other trapped animals back in your tank!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Antdog, I tried that with a 2 liter bottle, and it never worked. But after reading your post, I used a 20oz bottle and caught him in 15 minutes! Your staple idea worked great, too.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com