Need help catching crabs (salt water kind) and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have approx 15 crabs and numerous mantis/pistols I need to remove. They have not caused a problem yet but I am not waiting until they do. I tried the glass tilted on a rock trick and the hawk fish swam in and ate the bait. Anyone have a suggestion. Also I read a while ago on here someone said the pistol can not make several rapid "pops" so it had to be a mantis someone was hearing. Is this correct? I know I have several but have not seen them. Would I be OK leaving them if they are pistols?

If they are pistols leaving them is a great idea, they move the substrate like crazy. I have a tiger pistol. I also believe there are special mantis shrimp catching devices avail. Try to search on here or google for them.

I was just discussing this with my not-so-local FS. I hear pops in my aquarium from time to time, but never more than one or two at a time. This has been happening since April when my live rock arrived. I have never seen a shrimp, and I'm told a mantis is much more bold and would most likely been seen by now. Not necessarily with a pistol, which are more reclusive, so I'm hoping I have a pistol. Does this make sense? As I'm writing this, I hear a few pops, but nobody is in view!!

For the crabs, I just grabbed 'em with tweezers or whatever else I could use whenever I saw them. I imagine that might be more difficult with the size tank you have. Eventually I think I managed to get them all.

I bought a Mantis trap. It worked for catching some of the crabs. It's also good for catching fish. It will probably catch your Hawkfish. It catches my Dottyback in about 10 seconds.

I had a Mantis shrimp that came with my LR. After failing to catch him through other means, I dunked his rock in FW for about 20-30 minutes. Yeah, yeah, I know it probably killed everything in the rock. I haven't seen the Mantis since. :twisted:

Keep the pistols. I have one that came with my LR. I actually see his head peak out fairly often.

Google the x-terminator trap. It works very well.
I agree, leave the pistol shrimp, no harm there.

Back
Top Bottom