Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need Help Choosing a filter

Hi! Im starting a new saltwater tank that is 23 gal. and I was trying to figure out what the best filter to use is. I read the best filter to use it a wet/dry filter. Please give me your advice! Thank you!

GossamerWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!

1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon and good flow along with regular (weekly) PWCs and you should be just fine.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I use a tom pro wet/dry filter with integrated skimmer, auto-topoff (for evaporated water), and auto stop in case there is a power outage, so it wet/dry doesn't continue to siphon water and overflow.

All in all, it's a good filter, easy to use and convenient, but also a source of a lot of frustration.. (I'm used to canister filters from my FW setup.
Justin_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
For a 23G I would follow Ziggy953's advice. I can tell you from experience with my 29G that *nothing* replaces water changes every week. The amount of LR (IMO) will depend on what livestock you want to keep. Just know that in a tank that small any additions should be added one at a time 3 - 4 weeks apart to allow for the proper bacteria to 'catch-up' to the new bio load. A better question may be "How will I keep my nano properly topped off with fresh RO/DI to avoid salinity issues or other daily parameter swings". ; )

Happy reefing!
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Allen also. Adequate LR and plenty of flow to push the water around and weekly PWC`s is all you need for that size tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Algae | Barnacles »