Need help, corals stoped opening...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some GSP, zoos, and other uknown coral thing and some polyps.

So my GSP and zoos have not been opening. The is like partially open but not usually grass like looking normally. The zoos are all closed. The polyps are wide open though.

I checked my levels. PH, NO3, NO3, Ammonia, all where they should be and have been since the tank started.

It just seems all of a sudden. My unknown corals seem to be bleached. They were a kind of fleshy looking color, but now they are snow white.

Any help?

29gallon with a maxi 1200, and 900 for flow. Lights are orbit CF light. Nitrates are <10ppm

None of the above have really changed since the tank has started (been 6 months or more now)

I dont have pics of the unkown corals yet. Also even though the unkown one is loosing color it is fully opened.

Tex: Sorry I was in a hurry. I was saying the GSP is a little open but not all the way like it usually is (grass like and fully open).

**UPDATE**
Purple firefish is dead. Im stunned at what is going on. Mixing water at the moment.

About 6 months (since the start of the tank). I would think it is time to replace them but they arent really that old. PLus with the recent firefish death its making me wonder.

Full water parameters? Especially alkalinity and pH?

Its possible the unknown coral could have stung the other corals and that is why they aren't opening. Maybe some sort of chemical warfare in the tank? Depends on that other coral. Is why its good to know what you are buying before you buy it. I've had a whole zoo colony close for weeks when it got stung by a torch coral. They opened....but were pretty worse for wear.

Have you done a large water change to see if it helps?

What is your SG? Temp? Have you added ANYTHING to the tank like Iodine or Copper? Do you have kids? Kids throws stuff around that can cause havok in a reef tank (like Pennies).

SG is right at 1.023.
PH=8.3
Not sure about alk dont have a tester for it.

All my corals are very far from each other and they have all been in the tank for some time now.

I have no added anything to the tank, I do water changes every week to week and half and feed every other day.

No kids, just me :)

I would say the first order of bussiness is some 25% PWC every other day for a few days. If it is a chemical imbalance then fine and if not you have not done any harm but good.

The lights may not be that old but I've heard that you should replace your PC lights every 6-9 months. Maybe its about that time if nothing else works? I dont think that would be causing your problems but just a heads up for you. I agree with everyone else that it could be chemical warfare going on in your tank. You could also have gotten a hitchhiker on one of your rocks like a crab or mantis or something. Just a thought.

I do not think that light has to do anything in this case :/ Firefish can't die from old light. Corals will open even though the light is old. I would say something is wrong with ur water and u've got to fix it. I agree with melosu that you should perform some WC's. Also, run some AC. HTH

Back
Top Bottom