Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need help fast!!!!!

I have a 55 gal that was reef but I have changed it to fish and a couple corals(xenia and glove polyps) Everything has been great until I brought a small picasso trigger home yesterday. There has been no aggression at all from the trigger but I did have my red wrasse die last night but he had no signs of aggression either. This morning I notice all my fish are gasping for air. I immediatley tested my water and noticed an ammonia spike. Nothing that I could see other than a small piece of xenia that was dead. I have reduced the ammonia with water changes but nothing has changed. Is there any parasite that could have been introduced? I don't want to lose everything what can I do?

Old 06-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
zacdl

Well...

First of all you STILL have a reef tank. If you have any corals it is considered a reef tank.

Next... several possibilities. Parasites might have come onto the trigger, or he mightve killed the wrasse (my guess).

For the ammonia, either you are putting fish in there to fast and adding the trigger over-did it, and the dead xenia helped with the ammonia too.

Get the dead coral out of there so it wont contribute to ammonia anymore. Then keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia down (I guess, depending how much ammonia you have)

My guess is the combo of adding the trigger and the dead xenia is what caused the ammonia. Then I am guessing the trigger killed the wrasse as well.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well first off I am not a beginner at this. I have not been adding things too fast and I really don't think the trigger killed the wrasse as I watched the tank pretty much all night and when the wrasse died there had been no aggression from the trigger as he was still adapting to the tank and was hiding most of the time.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
IMO your amonia spike probably killed ur wrasse, or mabe it was time for ur wrasse to go.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Quarintine the fish if they are still doing the same thing then its a parasite if they are not. Then it a problem with your main tank. If so I would suggest a major water change to rid it of the spike. But then again this could cause another spike in itself.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Well first off I am not a beginner at this
But you added a Picasso Trigger to a 55 reef and wonder where the ammonia spike came from.
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
Old 06-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The trigger will become to large for that tank very fast.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

All other fish accounted for? Any inverts in the tank, like snails? Dead snails can foul a tank pretty quickly. This is the "chicken or the egg" scenerio. Did you remove the wrasse right after it died? IF so it is more likely that NH3 killed the wrasse instead of the dead fish producing NH3.
Quote:
But you added a Picasso Trigger to a 55 reef and wonder where the ammonia spike came from.
While a 55gal is certainly too small for a trigger I doubt the simple addition of the fish would cause an NH3 spike.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sure it could have if it harrassed the wrasse to death and picked the xenia

Not trying to be argumentative
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
Old 06-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you would have read my previous post I stated that the trigger did NOT kill anything. My tank is not a reef as I moved the rest of my corals to my other tank. I appreciate help but I don't need advice when the posts aren't read properly. This trigger is very small and I am upgrading soon. Lando, i removed the wrasse before it was fully dead as I knew it was doomed. All snails are accounted for. I did manage to save most of the fish through water changes and quarantine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com