need help fast!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sHistA

Aquarium Advice Regular
i want to get playsand from HD do i have to rinse it out before i put it in a new tank? and i have a old tank with dead fish can i use them for cicling instead of shrimp? and i have LR sitting in a tank with dead fish and dirty water i was thinking of tanking out and rinsing it with freswater and brushing most of it off and then putting it in the thank while it cycles and after it cycles get some liverock and put it in there and give life to the other rock . is this right or should i put the liverock in while its cycling?
:(

THanks

sounds like you might have a dead fish problem? If you are cycling a tank clean off your rock a little and just use it to cycle your tank.

I would rise the play sand out as long as it is the correct sand, and also add in the LR when you start up the tank on day 1.

do i set up the tank and right away put in the shrimp or wait a day? and by day 1 do u mean right after i put in the saltwater?? i need a reply fast

Throwing the dead shrimp in the tank will make live rock and live sand from the base rock and sand you put in. For filtration terms, "live" means that it is packed with bacteria that will grow from eating the waste of the rotting shrimp. Decorative "live rock" is another story and will require you add at least 1 piece of rock that has actual sea life growing on it.

If your rock is already cured, than I would wait before introducing it to the tank to prevent more die off. If the rock is uncured, I'd add it now and let it cycle your tank with the die-off.

You can rinse the sand before you add it or you can choose not to. If you don't rinse it, you will be a little cloudier for a little longer, but either way it will eventually settle down. Rinsiing a few hundred pounds of sand isn't nearly as fun as it sounds in my experience.

Once you have the water mixed and in the tank with the sand/rock, you can add the shrimp. The cycle will take about 30 days,(ballpark), maybe less, maybe more. There is no need to be in a giant rush in this hobby. The only things that happen fast in SW are bad things. The good stuff takes time, so don't be in a hurry.

now i emptied the tank took the live rock in a bucket with SW and tomorow im goin to HD and gettin sand and then going home putting in the sand. add water and mix it with salt. then im waiting about an hour and then adding liverock and the shrimp. i will turn on my HOB emperior filter and after the cycle is finished i will turn on the skimmer.

is this right or im i doing something rong?

Filter is enough but IMO if you have the skimmer run it. It will not hurt the cycle it removes waste not ammonia or nirtires, nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom