need help fixing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfaro643

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gal tank it has been up for a year i do water changes every two weeks i use instant ocean reef crystals in the last month or so i started to have reddish sponge growth on the live rock and in the last week i have had a green algae starting on the glass

Attachments

• tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 96
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 96
I have a 90 gal tank it has been up for a year i do water changes every two weeks i use instant ocean reef crystals in the last month or so i started to have reddish sponge growth on the live rock and in the last week i have had a green algae starting on the glass

Do you use tap water? Pictures please

nitrates=40ppm
phosphates are probably just as high what is your stock and feeding schedule and what do you feed .
large water changes and more circulation in the tank should help

reef 0ppm to 20ppm try to keep it as close to 0ppm as possible

fowler 20ppm to 40ppm try to keep it closer to 20ppm or even lower if you can

Last edited:
phosphates are probably just as high what is your stock and feeding schedule and what do you feed .
large water changes and more circulation in the tank should help

reef 0ppm to 20ppm try to keep it as close to 0ppm as possible

fowler 20ppm to 40ppm try to keep it closer to 20ppm or even lower if you can
i have three yellow tail damsel one coral beauty angel one royal gramma about 7 hermits and one snail i have two power heads one is on all the time the one is on for 15 mins then off for 15 mins i feed about 2 time a week i feed omega one marine flakes with garlic

The nutrients are just building up in the system, which is causing the algae growth.
I would suggest keeping all your powerheads on all the time to help with low flow and getting as much uneaten food and poop in the water column until it can be filtered out rather than giving it the chance to settle and decompose.
I would also move to weekly water changes around 10%. To get ahead of the issue, you’ll need to do large water changes on top of that as well. A 50% water change would bring your nitrates down to 20 and in a much better ball park. Siphon our as much gunk as you can during the water changes as well.

Back
Top Bottom