Need help on Candy Cane coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill0298

Aquarium Advice Regular
About one month ago I purchased a candy cane coral from my LFS, they told me that this coral was easy to take care of. When the coral was in the tank at the LFS, the polyps were not expanded all the way out due to being put in the tank the day before. (At least that what the LFS told me). Anyhow, I when ahead and bought the coral, but it really hasn't come out much more than it was in the store. I have done just about everything I can think of, I have moved it to different places in the tank, tried feeding it more, tried feeding it less, tried more light, tried less light, tried more current, tried less current, and so on.... I have also noticed that the polyps are getting the stringy stuff on them, kinda like a spider web :? Currently, I have the coral on the middle right side of my tank about half way up from the sand. There is a picture of my tank in my gallery, but the coral is placed on the left hand side. I guess my question is: What am I doing wrong :?: :? :?: :? :?:

72 Gal Bow Front
8.3 PH
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5-10 mg/l Nitrate
12 dkh Hardness

Thanks...

Bill

While on the low side, I think you have enough light for the coeral, but it needs t be placed towards the top of the reef structure to get the most light. It will fare best under a low to med flow. From the pics, it just looks unhappy, but infection is always a possibility, although an infection tends to take them quick.

my canes did the same thing when I first put them in until I found a good spot for them. I have a good bit of lighting and am having luck with the polyps horizontal facing the front of the tank rather than vertical facing the light. I think the indirect light they are getting that way is making them happy.

Ok, I will put them up higher, horizontal, and a little bit more water flow and then see what happens... Thanks for the info.... I will post a updated picture when I move them.. 8)

Back
Top Bottom