Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

need help on deciding on a protein skimmer please!

so i have a 45 gallon tank, it originally had the remora nano skimmer installed on it that worked well for about a month and then totally did nothing for my tank because i think i had the nano version and not the pro. so my tank has been without a skimmer for probally 5 months and i have noticed red slime algea starting to appear on my rocks. So i am ready to invest in another protein skimmer but i really want to spend my money on the best possible skimmer for my tank. Do you guys think i should just go with the remora pro? or does anyone have any suggestions for a better more reliable HOB protein skimmer any help would be awesome guys please i dont want to waste my money on junk

Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would also need a recommendation on a RO unit as well that would be good for my 45 gallon tank

Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can upgrade the pump on the skimmer and get more out of it.

Also, here is a good ro/di unit

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is the RO/DI unit I have. I have been pleased with it. You can get a 100 gal a day for #11.00 less but I think the 150 is well worth it.

PureWaterClub.com

Can't help you with the skimmer because I know nothing about them. I will be following along though because I also have a 45 and may want to add a skimmer.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
You can upgrade the pump on the skimmer and get more out of it.

Also, here is a good ro/di unit

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

You beat me to the punch. LOL I took Carey's advice when I bought mine and she did me right.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats awesome guys thanks so much, so carey about the protein skimmer you think i should just keep my nano skimmer and just update the pump or would i be better off with the pro with like the maxi jet 1200 cause with my nano i had a rio 800 i believe not to sure but i do know it was a rio and i know their not the best quality of pumps
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the remora pro with a mj1200 on my 55g. I think if you went up to a mj 1200 you would pretty much have the same results I get. The nano one is just a tad shorter and has the smaller pump. It's worth spending the $25 to see instead of wasting almost $175 on a whole new skimmer. The pro is recommended for up to 70g I believe with the 1200 and 120 with the mag3. So I think it's just a matter of the pumps.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok does the mj1200 fit on the remora nano? i don't know if they have different size input hoses so i just want to make sure before i look into it
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

and yea i totally get what your saying with spending alot less money to see the results but i much rather just get the best option money aside that will cure my red cyno and get my tank looking much better i dont mind investing in a new skimmer if its really going to help my tank out in the long run
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The nano one can take a mj900 so its a matter of seeing what the width is on that hose. I'm gonna try to find out for you.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com