Need help on determining anemone situation !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anttonbiocube14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good afternoon everyone! So I set up my size 14 biocube 3 ½ weeks ago and yesterday I added a red finger gorgonian and a super colored long tentacle anenome

Well it looks bleached. But before that your tank is brand new. Not a good idea to have put a nem in it. Also that gorgonian is non-photosynthetic and do not last long in home systems. Some advice, I'd slow down a lot. If you can, take the gorgonian and nem back and stock it with much more suitable inhabitants

Well it looks bleached. But before that your tank is brand new. Not a good idea to have put a nem in it. Also that gorgonian is non-photosynthetic and do not last long in home systems. Some advice, I'd slow down a lot. If you can, take the gorgonian and nem back and stock it with much more suitable inhabitants

+1. Both of those require much more mature systems

At 3 weeks you shouldn't have anything in the tank, it can cycle from 3-6 weeks and then only a cuc. The nem is very bleached, your tank is a year too new, your lighting is not enough and a long tentacle anemone is not the easiest to keep even with mature experience reefers. If you want to be successful, take EVERYTHING back, and lets start with type of water you are using, current parameters, ect. It takes years to have a success reef, not weeks. All this hobby will do in a hurry is drain your bank account.

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

They can slowly come back with pristine stable water conditions and high end lighting, they can survive for 6 months bleached but if they don't get their zooxanthellae back they will not survive. Thats why they are not recommended until the tank is stable without parameter swings. Plus probably 80% are bleached as they do not ship well and lfs owners don't even know that they are bleached, and what to do about it. I have a tank full of nems and I am lucky to test once a month as my tank is stable and even more important, I know the tank, and my equipment I have eliminated parameters swings. But that all takes time, learning and experience. That why we suggest to wait a year, not just for parameters but to get to know your tank and all of its idiosyncratic. Ok, off my nem band wagon :) just saving the worlds nems 1 at a time

This is an old topic and might not receive any response. I will put my question here and hoping to receive a reply. I am new to the reef life but I would like to know more about bleaching anemone specially the white ones. What are the signs of a bleached anemone beside change in colour? I'll boost couple of pictures of my staff probably in a new topic to receive a feed back from you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom