Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need help picking fish

I have a 30 g JBJ nano with LED pro lights. 30 lbs of live rock, one green bubble anemone and some ricordea. Tank is now 7 months old and doing well but I need fish in it. What can I get? I really want 2 clownfish and a yellow goby. Is this ok or can I add something red or blue to the mix like a dottyback?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 16g with LR, hammer corals, zoas, a small pair of ocellaris clowns, an azure damsel, a diamond watchman goby and some various hermits, snails and shrimps as a CUC. I like the fish you've chosen. Gobies are great, and I like the yellow one as well as the one I got. There are a few really good looking gobies to choose from. I also really like green chromis, if you want some more color in your tank. Just be sure to take the time to add them properly, not all at once, so your bio filtration can catch up. Good luck. Your tank will be awesome!

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #3

Your clowns and the damsel get along? Sounds good thanks for the reply.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The damsel swims around like he owns the place, but he doesn't bother any other fish. The diamond watchman actually puts him in his place once in a while. The clowns stay out of the way, but when they wander nobody bothers them at all. That being said, I always have my eye on the damsel. It's my coral banded shrimp that gets territorial if one of the peppermint shrimp get too close to him. You might also think about getting a pistol shrimp to pair up with your goby.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #5

Had not heard of a pistol shrimp till now. Really cool. I have 2 peppermints and a fire shrimp now. I may take the peppermints back. One is crazy aggressive and picks on the anemone and has even eaten a few crabs. They are not under fed either. This one is just mean!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I've never even heard of a shrimp that aggressive. Mine are curious, but never aggressive. They try to clean my hands whenever I have them in the tank. My wife hates them, thinks they look creepy, like bugs. I like them, though. I really like cleaner shrimp, too.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

Well the fight of the peppermint vs the bubble anemone is over. Peppermint was dead this morning and anemone was all shrunken up. Hope the anemone lives. Kind of glad that shrimp is gone she was crazy aggressive to everything in the tank. The other peppermint doesn't bother anything.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Peppermints don't usually display that kind of behavior. They have a look alike though, the camel shrimp, that can have problem behavior. I'm curious as to the possibility that maybe there was a shrimp mix-up, so to speak. The Lysmata sp. Are the aiptasia eating peppermints.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #9

They do look alike and I am a novice to this hobby. I got the other from my lfs and this one from Petsmart. So, it is possible I got a crazy camel shrimp bent on tank domination! Oh well, pistol shrimp are nice right?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pistol shrimp are lovely, if you don't mind rearranging your tank substrate every so often. They dig and create "hills". They are also quite shy.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com