Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Big Al's Aquarium Superstore next to my house drip acclimates all their new stock.
They've always got those 18gal rubbermaid tubs on drips after they get in a shipment.
That was actually the first place I ever saw a drip acclimation in person.
I've always used a cup in the past..., but that was FW.

I'm not sure I'd want to chance adding any other place's water to my tanks.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went to the LFS today and told them what happened. They agreed to exchange them for me. I had to work tonight so I told them I'd be back tomorrow. They have a different test kit than I do, so they're going to test my water also. I told them I drip acclimated them. They also think this may have been a factor. They told me the best method to use is the one I've always used with my FW tanks.....Float the bag 20 min, add small amounts of water every 5-10 minutes for the next 45 minutes, place item in the tank and throw out the bag water.
I will be using the latter method to acclimate my xenia tomorrow. Depending on what my levels read with their test kit, I may have them hold them there till my nitrAtes are lower. The test for my nitrAtes is hard to read, so I'm not sure if my NitrAtes are closer to 10 or 20.
I brought the xenia back to the LFS before I left for work. They were def still alive, just not pulsing.
We'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanx for all your help guys I'll check in tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome. Sounds like you have a really accomodating LFS there.
Sending you happy thoughts for the new xenia.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, they offered me a job today. I'm gonna talk to them about it tomorrow. I'm in there enough to be considered a part-time employee. Might as well get paid for it.....
Old 01-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

xenia can be finiky. I have had it grow out of control and then it stops growing all together. I have rubberbanded xenia with good results. Just don't make it too tight and you will be fine. Most my tanks have a bit of flow so if they are not tied down they end up behind a rock or something.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I picked up my xenia today. I acclimated it differently and for less time. They are still pulsing and seem to be doing good. I turned on the light and most of them balled up. So, I turned off the daylight bulbs and just left the actinics on. Most of them are fully opened and pulsing. I am so happy! I'm going to keep the blues on them for quite awhile tomorrow and then go back to normal lighting schedule on Saturday. Wish me luck!

Tags
chi, eat, frag, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com