need help reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes exactly you can't afford a proper home for them that's like buying a dog knowing you won't be able to afford a vet and this hobby isn't cheap why go into something you can't afford at the moment ? It's awesome that u wanna be apart of this hobby but honestly you should of saved the big fish for when you are capable to house them ik I sound like a d*** but that's the truth

First off how do you know your fish are happy? Your very likely stressing them out every single day by keeping them in such a small space. Yes they make "look" happy but are they truly in the right environment they should be housed in? Consider trading them in for smaller more tank compatible size fish.

when someone puts a yellow tang in a tank too small what's the life expectency? Are we talking years, months? I don't have any tangs and bought all my fish based on tank size but what if I throw a yellow tang in my 50 gallon? On this website everyone is constantly debating tangs in smaller systems but on youtube you'd be hard pressed to find a video of a reef tank without a tang no matter the size. Just wondering what is the outcome everyone is afraid of when it comes to the ever popular yellow tang?

I've never kept a tang in a small tank for very long, but They get stressed out, their immune system weakens, and then they succumb to some random disease.

There cheap fish buy them small but get rid of them before they get big because it's cruel to them they like swimming room !! Yes I know every aquarium in zoos and large hotels like the borgata in Atlantic city has huge tangs in tiny tanks !! But why be cruel scoop em out and get a new baby one I do it every year to all my fish !!! Keeps you interested in your tank !! Dam it's only been 3 months with my new fish and I have the itch to get all new ones already lol

Smithcinema said:
There cheap fish buy them small but get rid of them before they get big because it's cruel to them they like swimming room !! Yes I know every aquarium in zoos and large hotels like the borgata in Atlantic city has huge tangs in tiny tanks !! But why be cruel scoop em out and get a new baby one I do it every year to all my fish !!! Keeps you interested in your tank !! Dam it's only been 3 months with my new fish and I have the itch to get all new ones already lol

Yeah....... If that's what u need to stay interested in your tank then obviously maybe your better off at finding something diff to do i just find that weird like I would never trade in my guys

Not a hobby to me it's a show tank in my living room I have no attachment to anything in that tank , I spend a boat load of money on top equipment to keep it running maintenance free !! My 10,000 gal koi pond is my thing I have those fish 15 years now and there all over 3 feet long 35 of them that's we're I spend my time on maintenance they eat 5lb of koi food a week

This the only 1 I have on my iPhone but I recommend a koi pond to anyone the fish have personality you sit next to the pond for a cigar and they will let you pet them !! But like tangs if you are going to keep them over a year they get BIG fast you need water volume and at least 4 feet deep I prefer 5 feet so nothing can eat them other wise easy to keep

Attachments

• image-501949848.jpg
    image-501949848.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 83
I had a small koi pond in my back yard as a kid they were great. I'm thinking of digging a bigone in the yard again.

Took me a week looks awsome people think my yard looks like a resort and the kids love them !! They have no interest in my saltwater tank because they can't touch it with the pond they feed them pet them catch frogs

Attachments

• image-3672399573.jpg
    image-3672399573.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 77
Start digging lol

Attachments

• image-180159636.jpg
    image-180159636.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-186354057.jpg
    image-186354057.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 90
helton1026 said:
Well lookin at the picture does it look good to you guys I still have questions I want to make my tank a reef tank but I'm 22 an on a cheap budget cause rent an things but I don't have a skimmer or anything to make a sump an at that no stand my tanks on my bar in my apt. Lol jus not sure bout some things do I have to have the sump tank an skimmer I have t5 4x39 lights with 4 l.e.d.s

You don't need a sump, they are nice to have, but not nec. I ran a 135 tall on 2 magnum 350's, and a hang-on-tank 115 coral life super skimmer for 5 years! 376w of T5, full LPS and soft reef with few SPS at top of column. Also had fish with 2 large tangs + others. The key was changing and cleanings the microns weekly and 15 gal water changes every 2 weeks.

Smithcinema said:
Not a hobby to me it's a show tank in my living room I have no attachment to anything in that tank , I spend a boat load of money on top equipment to keep it running maintenance free !! My 10,000 gal koi pond is my thing I have those fish 15 years now and there all over 3 feet long 35 of them that's we're I spend my time on maintenance they eat 5lb of koi food a week

That's pretty hardcore lol

Ok that being said what would be the best easiest an cheapest sump set up do I gotta drill a hole thru my glass figure I got a 40g long tank an if u cud a price for stuff I have no clue wat I need

helton1026 said:
Ok that being said what would be the best easiest an cheapest sump set up do I gotta drill a hole thru my glass figure I got a 40g long tank an if u cud a price for stuff I have no clue wat I need

You could look into a overflow if you don't want to drill

Back
Top Bottom