Need help rounding off stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, as the title says I need some help. I have a 29g BioCube with 2 Ocellaris Clowns, a Mandarin Goby, and a Blue Fin Watchman Goby. Cleaner and Peppermint Shrimp, Hermits, Snails, an Long Tentacle Nem. I do have corals in the tank (Zoas, Mushrooms, Hammer) so any other fish I need to get need to be reef AND invert safe.
My questions are:
A) Should I get more fish, or is my tank stocked enough.
B) If yes, what should I get (recommendations)?

I am thinking (if I can add more, depending on advice):
Royal Gamma Basslet
Blue/Green Chromis
Purple or Bicolor Dottyback

Just want other peoples 2 cents.

Thanks,
Finnster :fish2:

Hi there I would say must be close to your limit if not over, And would depend on how your System is handling the bio load so if your No3 is reasonably Low then in my opinion I would say go for it, from your list my top choice would be the Royal gramma, I am would definitely stay clear of the dottybacks as they can be very aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi there I would say must be close to your limit if not over, And would depend on how your System is handling the bio load so if your No3 is reasonably Low then in my opinion I would say go for it, from your list my top choice would be the Royal gramma, I am would definitely stay clear of the dottybacks as they can be very aggressive.

I agree, go with the royal gramma, forget the dottybacks.
a biocube is kinda small for chromis.

I love the magenta dottybacks and am on my second one, but fear he will have to go like the first one because he is beginning to relentlessly harass other fish.
the stock you currently have would be harassed by dottybacks except the clowns.

The Mandarin goby may be problems down the line. Unless you are regularly adding pods there is no way a 29 gallon will support a population that will support a mandarin

Okay, thanks for the heads up I know for a fact that I have a LOT of pods and I add them monthly.

Sorry, but I don't think you grasp how many pods a mandarin eat daily. We're talking upwards of a 1000 if I recall correctly

It is possible to train them on to frozen food and/or pellets. You will have to Google or ask or search for the methodology. This may not be what you want to hear but what you may need to do is rehome or culture pods in a separate tank

I have seen him eat frozen Mysis Shrimp (which I broadcast every 4-5 days)

I have seen him eat frozen Mysis Shrimp (which I broadcast every 4-5 days)

That really doesn't help as mandis don't have regular digestive systems like other fish, they need a constant source of food as they have no real stomach which is why they eat thousands of pods a day

You should talk to Carey on here. She had one and the commitment was huge.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've always found that they adapt very quick to different foods ,in my opinion I believe it's just old stories being passed on down the line where from people couldn't look after them ,mine takes a variety of foods including flake and pellets I hardly ever by pods, but I do believe if you're going to get one it's best to place them in a established tank with plenty of live Rock.

Back
Top Bottom