Need help smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run a marine land canister filter on my reef tank and it works wonders. You have to keep them clean though. Every four weeks at least or you will start to see your nitrates climb....

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here are some suggestions for your set up to prevent your tank from crashing again.
1. Raise your return nozzle to your water level to create surface agitation to aerate your tank.
2. Get a power head about 800 gph installed midway at the right side of your tank for water circulation.
3. Turn down your light since you do not have any corals yet or still cycling. All you need for now is just enough light for your fish to see what they eat.
4. You need a surface skimmer to remove any floating debris or oily substance or you can just manually remove them.

A smelly water means you need some carbon media.

Just did one a week ago my tank crashed about 2 months ago and I had to start over......

But on the average I don't ever water change unless levels are off

hmmm, I wonder, could the two be related...:cool:

but it looks as if you don't have enough surface turbulence. If it is an oily looking film than maybe something died and is decaying.
If it is mostly particulates then maybe the algae...?

Back
Top Bottom