Need help smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatdaddy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having issues with smelly water levels are all perfect only odd thing aside from smell of water is a film of some sort started to form on surface of the water

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Film on surface

Attachments

• 1403713614290.jpg
    1403713614290.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 115
Tank

Attachments

• 1403713700234.jpg
    1403713700234.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 121
Full view

Attachments

• 1403713741421.jpg
    1403713741421.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 101
How often do you do water changes?

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just did one a week ago my tank crashed about 2 months ago and I had to start over only things that lived are 1 damsel,1clown ,1 lawnmower,and 8 hermits I normally never have a problem with my water seems odd to me the smell of it is kinda like poop water levels are high ph 8.2,ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm,nitrate 0ppm salt @ 1.027 temp 75-80f

But on the average I don't ever water change unless levels are off

And aside from food this is only thing I put in the tank

Attachments

• 1403714933330.jpg
    1403714933330.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 116
Could it be the amount of alge on my back glass

No to the skimmer and aside from fluval fx5 canister filter on my 46gal tall tank I run nothing else but a heater

Should I invest in a skimmer I heard mixed reviews

I would get rid of the canister, they are not great for saltwater, as they fast become nitrate factory.

A skimmer is great for reducing waste/smell from the water... I've put a big skimmer (50-90g) on my 20g, and that's a great thing !

You don't appear to have any flow or surface agitation. And if your policy is don't do a wc until levels are off, that's probably what led to a tank crash, and I'd get ready for another...

You don't appear to have any flow or surface agitation. And if your policy is don't do a wc until levels are off, that's probably what led to a tank crash, and I'd get ready for another...

Yeah, I would add few pumps to agitate the surface of the water. This would add O2 to the setup and reduce the nasty film accumulation.

With a skimmer, the film will be removed from the water.

I'm sorry what size is your tank?

It's a 46 gallon I see where you wrote that now. You should be changing at least 10 percent water every week. Waiting for water quality to go bad before you change your water....I would be surprised if it didn't smell. I found running carbon and more frequent water changes will help with smell of water....

Got it 10% wc a week and buy a skimmer as far as my canister issue it has to work for now seeing as I just paid $500 for it and I lack the knowledge and space for a wet/dry but would of love one instead and its not that I only wc when levels are off I was told that I should only do wc when levels are off and too only add water as needed when evaporated

My mistake was fluval fx6 and was $399.99 just figured a 100-400gal filter on a 46gal tank would be better than ok

My mistake was fluval fx6 and was $399.99 just figured a 100-400gal filter on a 46gal tank would be better than ok

Lots of people are successful with canister filters. I'm sure there are a few here that can attest to that. Just make sure you keep a regular cleaning and water change schedule and you'll be ok. I can't stress the regular part enough... Every week.
I also agree with the other posters about needing a powerhead or two. Buy a cheap Hydor to start, that way if you upgrade later it won't be too painful.
As far as skimmers go, I have one on each of my tanks... I think they are a great investment. They are not necessary if you do regular and frequent water changes though. They are worth every penny imop.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom