Need help with algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superman1950s

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't get rid of this hair algae. I have 30 red legs and my light cycle is down to 6 hrs a day. My phosphate is 0.25 ppm. What do I do?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121123_153945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121123_153945.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20121123_154054.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121123_154054.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 70
I have an RO unit so that's wat I use. New membranes in September. And a 10 gal WC every Saturday. It's a 38 gal tank.

Try adding a herbivore they love that algae my yellow tang left my tank spotless

Or just starve it they need not only light but also nitrates and phosphates to survive

First, red legs are more carnivorous. It's the blues that'll clean up your algae. I'm quite partial to lawn mower blennies. Solved my hair algae issue as I adjusted my feeding and skimming.

agree with hank red legs are more connivers
the blue legs will work on it some along with lawn mowers
cut back on feedings water changes will also help

The algae started about 3 weeks ago. Lime I said I do a 10gal WC every Saturday and I feed once a week. Its a 38gal hex so bleenys would be good for the size. I only have 2 fish and b/w clown and a neon goby. I have 60 lbs of LR between a the DT and sump. My water chemistry is near perfect. How many lawnmower bleenies should I get?

If you want to crush the problem completely, buy a reactor and run GFO.

If you don't want to buy a reactor (I highly recommend it), get some RowaPhos and run water through it by way of a HOB overflow filter.

A reactor with GFO will drop your Phosphate levels to 0 and get rid of ALL the hair algae in less than a month.

Your phosphate level is too high. I don't think any CUC is going to keep up with it. To many organics in the water. It needs to be below .1 or lower. Yours is three times what it should be IMO. Water changes with good salt and RO/DI water. And run something that absorbs phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom