Need help with clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought an established pair of clown fish from a buddy of mine and one of them died. I want to get another buddy for the female but I'm not sure if I should get a small clown or if I should get the largest one I can find? Does anybody have any experience with a situation like this?

I would try and get a smaller one if possible. A larger one would be ok too. I've heard you run into issues when they are the same size.
I don't have any direct experience with this but this is what I've read when researching before getting my clowns.

How big is the female? If she's full grown I would try and get one that's about 1.5" -2"

I'm pretty sure she is full grown, I just didn't know how small of a mate I should get her. I just don't want her to kill the new one

Unfortunately that is always a possibility with clowns. I have best results when I add the new fish with the lights off for as long as possible after adding. I usually will modify my light schedule for the day so that they come on earlier and go off for the night as I'm acclimating the new fish, that way there off for about 12 hours giving the new fish time to find a hidy hole with out the other clown being super active.

Get a smaller one and use an acclimation box like this for at least an hour to let the established clown check out the new one. It worked for me.
K94UlfA.jpg

Thanks guys I'll probably pick up another clown sometime this week or next, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom