Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewatson249
Your on to a loser with this one. Two different types of clownfish will not pair or even get on with one another. If you have a big tank you may (possibly) get away with it. You need to get rid of one and replace it with the same type as the reaming one and make sure it's considerably smaller than the other. Trust me you will mess around for ages trying to get it to work the way you are going and it will only end in fishy death! Good luck.
+1 you shouldn't really mix clowns.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

$40 is alot unless they're big. I'd trade for smaller and a less aggressive fishies! Clowns are suppose to BE clowns (mine two play& dive in circles all over the tank) very fun to watch! Also suppose to be kept in groups of at least 2-3 so they're feeling territorial or they'd play. Ask the petstore if you can trade or get a refund - what's the point of having fish you can't enjoy? Besides Ewatson is right that the stress can ultimately kill them too.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewatson249 View Post
Your on to a loser with this one. Two different types of clownfish will not pair or even get on with one another. If you have a big tank you may (possibly) get away with it. You need to get rid of one and replace it with the same type as the reaming one and make sure it's considerably smaller than the other. Trust me you will mess around for ages trying to get it to work the way you are going and it will only end in fishy death! Good luck.
He said they were both occilaris the color shouldn't make a difference now if one was occilaris and the other one a percula it would make a difference.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as they are of the same type you can add multiple clownfish( at the same time). Currently I have 5 clownfish in my tank. Dominant female, black and white dominant male, and then 3 male. They were all added at the same time and have been in the tank for around a year now. They all get along great! And they have even started to recently breed.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22
As long as they are of the same type you can add multiple clownfish( at the same time). Currently I have 5 clownfish in my tank. Dominant female, black and white dominant male, and then 3 male. They were all added at the same time and have been in the tank for around a year now. They all get along great! And they have even started to recently breed.
That usually isn't the case for ever. It is in their DNA to try and reproduce and become the dominant male and eventually the female. Fighting usually breaks out sooner or later. You can't stop nature. As Ian Malcom said in Jurassic Park, "Nature always finds away."
Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a true perc, and a false perc living together for five years.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some times clown s haven't matured and are considered juvenile ,and may not have determined there sex yet, depends on how old they are.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile

re. Sergie; that's weird I watched Jurassic this weekend and I AGREE! I've read that breeding clowns is very rare - mine are just babes yet so I'm not prepared to do that but would love to in the future. They're adorable!

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com