Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

need help with clowns....please

So i have two clowns . One is a orange and white occilaris and the other is a black and white occ. The black one is new and has taken over both nems and wont let the orange one even come out of the rock work.. they did get along for a day or two,but now the black one is being very mean to the orande one... Its one thing to just keep him away from the nems,but the black one will chase the orange one untill he is behind the rocks. What do i do???? I like them both but the black one was 40bucks.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say take the black aggressive one out and out him in your qt for mayb a few days move some rock work around and then re introduce him and see ow that goes.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your tank?

It sounds like if they are the same size the black one is being the female and the other one will be the male. The dominate one will become female and get larger. Clownfish are All Born Male, a Dominant Male Will Turn Female When the Current Female of the Group Dies
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could also be that as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unless ofcourse they were both already female. Being the same size that might indicate as such. Once a female they can't turn back to male.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

the orange one was the female before i got the black one. the black one is a little bigger then the orange. so if they are both female there is no changing back to male?? if thats true.... should i try to trade one in for a smaller one?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I read somewhere that clowns need to each have at least two hiding places and at least 40 gallons per 6" of fish, lots of room. So the black is acting dominant but it's the newbie, so it must be male unless it's larger. Many fish appear aggressive but are actually courting. And since that's rare w/clowns, they're just trying to est. pecking order. I'd do a 60% water & perimeter changes, give both good hiding spots and feed blacky first so there's not any fighting over food anyway.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big are your clowns? It could be they are both female and you will need to decide which one you are going to keep. Remember if you put a small clown it it will be beat up as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yah you need to get a smaller b+w one if ur orange is a girl just ask ur lfs for a younger one or use ur eye when picking but be sure its either smaller or there will be problems
Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your on to a loser with this one. Two different types of clownfish will not pair or even get on with one another. If you have a big tank you may (possibly) get away with it. You need to get rid of one and replace it with the same type as the reaming one and make sure it's considerably smaller than the other. Trust me you will mess around for ages trying to get it to work the way you are going and it will only end in fishy death! Good luck.

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com