Need help with corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the easiest way to get corals to grow fast? Also I wan to know what is the best to maintain corals

Thats a pretty loaded question.

The short answer is, stable high quality water parameters and lots of light. The light part can vary between different coral types as they are different levels of photosynthetic, but the water part is a universal truth.

You need to keep all the key components high (calcium, magnesium, etc) and all the bad components low (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphorus, etc.) Plus you need a very stable temperature and salinity level. Regular testing and digital tools will help you get things accurate. Keeping a "reef log" next to your tank where you write down all the test levels can also help you track how stable your tank is.
Lots of testing, lots of water changes, and things will start to take off, and you can do less testing when you get more "in tune" with your tank.

If you have more specific questions about a certain type of coral, post that along with any other relevant information.
HTH.

I know that the question is pretty broad I just wanted to know if people add anything to the tank so corals can feed off, cuz I know that I have all the other stuff, what I currently add to my tank is iodide once a week molybdenum and strontium every 4 days and calcium every day I checked my water the other day and my calcium was at 400, my alkalinity was really high an I'm already workin on bringing it down and as far as the basic test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and oh all we're fine, I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have eagle eyes, frogspawn, Xenia, favia, torch, and palys. I have a 55 g with a fuge and have 216w of light

Hondachico said:
I know that the question is pretty broad I just wanted to know if people add anything to the tank so corals can feed off, cuz I know that I have all the other stuff, what I currently add to my tank is iodide once a week molybdenum and strontium every 4 days and calcium every day I checked my water the other day and my calcium was at 400, my alkalinity was really high an I'm already workin on bringing it down and as far as the basic test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and oh all we're fine, I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have eagle eyes, frogspawn, Xenia, favia, torch, and palys. I have a 55 g with a fuge and have 216w of light

Stable parameters is key imo if your doin water changes faithfully theres no need to add those supplements you listed i dont dose anything other than a calcium reactor i feed my fish once a day my coral filterfeed off leftovers

Hondachico said:
What is the easiest way to get corals to grow fast? Also I wan to know what is the best to maintain corals

And this is my result by the way i keep alk at 12 but i have mostly sps and they seem to like it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120911_211022.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120911_211022.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 102
danbstrong said:
And this is my result by the way i keep alk at 12 but i have mostly sps and they seem to like it

How big is that tank? And how many times do u do water changes

Hondachico said:
How big is that tank? And how many times do u do water changes

55g 18g fugi 2-250w metal halides 3 years old 5g water change every 7-10 days with reefcrystals all coral was 1" or less frags

danbstrong said:
55g 18g fugi 2-250w metal halides 3 years old 5g water change every 7-10 days with reefcrystals all coral was 1" or less frags

I use rods original to feed fish

danbstrong said:

Sorry kinda new, what is reef crystals? And what rods?

Hondachico said:
Sorry kinda new, what is reef crystals? And what rods?

Instant ocean reef crystals salt mix and rods is frozen food has big and small pieces to feed fish and coral in one food also its frozen in ro water so supposedly less phosphates than most

Stable parameters is key imo if your doin water changes faithfully theres no need to add those supplements you listed i dont dose anything other than a calcium reactor i feed my fish once a day my coral filterfeed off leftovers

Dan is very correct. With the current coral stock you have, you shouldn't need to be dosing anything. Dan would need a calcium reactor because all of his SPS use the calcium up quickly to build themselves. With your current stock, just a high quality salt and regular water changes should provide everything you need.

Back
Top Bottom