Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need help with corals??

What is the easiest way to get corals to grow fast? Also I wan to know what is the best to maintain corals

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Thats a pretty loaded question.

The short answer is, stable high quality water parameters and lots of light. The light part can vary between different coral types as they are different levels of photosynthetic, but the water part is a universal truth.

You need to keep all the key components high (calcium, magnesium, etc) and all the bad components low (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphorus, etc.) Plus you need a very stable temperature and salinity level. Regular testing and digital tools will help you get things accurate. Keeping a "reef log" next to your tank where you write down all the test levels can also help you track how stable your tank is.
Lots of testing, lots of water changes, and things will start to take off, and you can do less testing when you get more "in tune" with your tank.

If you have more specific questions about a certain type of coral, post that along with any other relevant information.
HTH.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know that the question is pretty broad I just wanted to know if people add anything to the tank so corals can feed off, cuz I know that I have all the other stuff, what I currently add to my tank is iodide once a week molybdenum and strontium every 4 days and calcium every day I checked my water the other day and my calcium was at 400, my alkalinity was really high an I'm already workin on bringing it down and as far as the basic test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and oh all we're fine, I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have eagle eyes, frogspawn, Xenia, favia, torch, and palys. I have a 55 g with a fuge and have 216w of light
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondachico
I know that the question is pretty broad I just wanted to know if people add anything to the tank so corals can feed off, cuz I know that I have all the other stuff, what I currently add to my tank is iodide once a week molybdenum and strontium every 4 days and calcium every day I checked my water the other day and my calcium was at 400, my alkalinity was really high an I'm already workin on bringing it down and as far as the basic test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and oh all we're fine, I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have eagle eyes, frogspawn, Xenia, favia, torch, and palys. I have a 55 g with a fuge and have 216w of light
Stable parameters is key imo if your doin water changes faithfully theres no need to add those supplements you listed i dont dose anything other than a calcium reactor i feed my fish once a day my coral filterfeed off leftovers
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What is the easiest way to get corals to grow fast? Also I wan to know what is the best to maintain corals
And this is my result by the way i keep alk at 12 but i have mostly sps and they seem to like it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_211022.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	118091  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

And this is my result by the way i keep alk at 12 but i have mostly sps and they seem to like it
How big is that tank? And how many times do u do water changes
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

How big is that tank? And how many times do u do water changes
55g 18g fugi 2-250w metal halides 3 years old 5g water change every 7-10 days with reefcrystals all coral was 1" or less frags
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

55g 18g fugi 2-250w metal halides 3 years old 5g water change every 7-10 days with reefcrystals all coral was 1" or less frags
I use rods original to feed fish
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

That's a beautiful tank. Great work. I hope mine will look like that one day.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits

That's a beautiful tank. Great work. I hope mine will look like that one day.
Thank you

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com