need help with excalibur skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve9k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ack!

I was in the process today of test-driving my new 75gal setup -- to make sure the plumbing works, no leaks, etc. But when it came time to set up the Excalibur SV2 skimmer, I was totally stumped. The directions make little sense, so I had to start guessing, but I have no idea if I got it right.

The directions say "connect the pump to the clear tube", but by doing so there is no air supply for the bubbles, so before long the skimmer overflows. So, that can't be right.

The pump (RIO RF10) comes with oodles of little parts and attachments, one of which was a little connector with an air hose, so I tried putting that between the pump and the skimmer. Seems to work (i.e. skimmer chamber fills with bubbles) but I'd really like to know if this is the intended installation. Anyone know?

I'm not familiar with this model but most skimmers have the capability of regulating it somehow. Might check the web for their site and try that, Sorry I wasn't of more help but it sounds like you have it right if it's pumpings bubbles in it. Keep us informed of the outcome.

I only have a minute, but did your skimmer come with a clear hose (tube)? If so, you will have to keep one end out of the tank and the other into the pump inlet (be careful). This should feed air to the skimmer for the reaction chamber.

I've fashoned a valve on the end of the tube to regulate the airflow but they take a few weeks (maybe months?) to break in and run smoothly and regularly.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom