Need help with my new 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam_keene

Aquarium Advice Regular
I moved on to saltwater today. I have a 20 gallon tank with a red sea in water protien skimmer. I have a penguin 330 biowheel. a heater, white florida sand, 4 lbs of live rock, a small (racketball size) coral. My salinity level is at 1.018 and my water temp is at 80.

I feel like my protien skimmer is not doing anything besides making bubbles. People talk of foam going into the collection plate but i see no foam.
Is my light going to be fine? their is a warning for corrosion and electric shock!

So what is my next step? Fish???? or should i wait it out

Here is why youre skimmer isnt working for know:
- Too low salinity, you should pump it up to 1.024, no salt=no skim. I use to run my salinity to 1.026 to have my skimmer more efficient

-Since youre tank is new, than there is no organic compound to eliminate so no skim again. When the cycle will be well started, you will start to have skim. So you need to start the cycle. Add a shrimp in this.

New skimmers typically have to break in too... So little to no skimmate is normal. Especially for a new tank... You probably should stop skimming until after your cycle is complete.

You should also consider adding more live rock. Throwing a shrimp in is a much better way to cycle than with a live fish - for the fish's sake, at least.

4 lbs of live rock
ore LR would be better
a small (racketball size) coral.
Do you know what it is? Your tank has not cycled yet, I doubt the coral will survive the process.
My salinity level is at 1.018 and my water temp is at 80.
SG is a bit low. Slowly raise it up to 1.023-1.025. Temp looks good.
feel like my protien skimmer is not doing anything besides making bubbles
It is not skimming because there is nothing to for to skim yet. I would just turn it off until about half way through your cycle.
Is my light going to be fine? their is a warning for corrosion and electric shock!
Corrosion can be a problem. As long as the fixture has no contact with the water you should be fine. Just inspect it on a regular basis.
So what is my next step? Fish???? or should i wait it out
Your next step is to go out and buy the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. You will need to let your tank cycle before you add fish. Put in a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store to get things started. Then just hurry up and wait.

grrr.... My temperature is at about 84! im using a 150 watt heater on a 20 gallon plus i have a skimmer and a 70 gallon bio wheel.. is my filtration creating to much heat???

Many people recommend using two smaller heaters instead of one big one to avoid poaching your fish, and to serve as backup in case one goes down.

What kind of filtration are you using? I thought you said bio-wheel. If it's a hang-on, that won't add much heat. Do you have a submerged pump? Lighting can also add heat, of course.

I wouldn't use brine shrimp, personally. GO to the store and get some RAW (uncooked, unseasoned) shrimp. Thaw one out (I always rinse them well) and toss one in. It'll smell a bit, but it';; be worth it.

thanks guys! i bought 5 more lbs of LR and a new heater and my water temp is perfect. I also put in to damsels. They have been in the tank for 4 hours and they are loving it ;) well.... we'll see how much they are loving it....

Why did you put in 2 damsels? I'm not trying to be hard on you, but you asked for advice and people took the time to give you the "proper" way to cycle your tank and you just ignored everything that was said.

It's not too late, take those fish back to the store. You just started the tank, there was no cycle... you can't expect those poor fish to make it through what's about to be a large ammonia and nitrite spike.

so my cycle has started though right? i dont need to keep the fish in it while it does its thing do i?

Back
Top Bottom