Need help with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone i recently got a 500litre display tank. I need serious help.

So I got a load of sand from the person selling the tank. I cleaned the tank and was adding the sand today. It stank!!! To the point I was having nearly throwing up. I wanted to know what to do?

It was obviously live sand but now everything a live in there is now dead. I think that's why it stinks. Could I use this sand? I thought if I filled the tank with water then I could Syphon out a lot of dirt?

I was really wanting to use this sand is there any way I can do so? Or is it just a bad idea and I should get some live sand?

Please help would like to complete tank today as have some free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417712877.187737.jpg look bottom left thats the gunk coming out of the sand.

I would take it back out and keep rinsing it until the water runs clean And it doesn't smell foul

Thanks would it be ok to rinse it with tap water?

I wouldn't rinse with tap water... How long was the sand sitting? What did they previously have in the tank?

I would just get new sand, it's pretty much the cheapest part of setting up a new tank so why risk adding trapped/excess nutrients from the start. Jmo though

Thanks everyone.

It's been sitting for about 2 weeks and it was a mixed reef tank before.

That sand needs a lot of rinsing with tap water if you really want to use it. Getting new sand will also require same amount of time rinsing. You are smelling ammonia due to die off. You need that ammonia anyway when cycling.

Ok so I rinsed all the sand for 2 hours until water would come through crystal clear. But I left about 5 handfuls barely washed for cycling. I will also add a shrimp to rot for start of the cycling process. Does that sound ok?

Why do the rocks need sit on the bottom of the tank? Could it create a dead spot if there on the sand?

If the sand shifts, be it from power head or sand sifting fish the rock can fall and break the bottom glass. This is why it is best practice to out the rocks in first, or even use egg crate to line the bottom prior to putting in the rock and sand.

Thanks I'm glad I know that know rather than later.

I took a piece of 1/2 plexy and drilled holes in it, then glued rods of different heights into them. With all the different heights, it gives you more flexibility on rock placement

Back
Top Bottom