Need idea for "show" fish for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I removed the dwarf angel for eating coral, I now have no real decent sized fish in my DT. any ideas. All my fish are peaceful, never any fighting, max size they'll get is about 3". My tank's too small for the show fish I like. ( love the emperor angel) butterflyfish might give me the same problem as angel did. Pretty sure my last wrasse was killed by ruby crab while sleeping on the sand, so don't wanna get a wrasse. :( I'm running out of ideas. I was Considering a foxface, but then read they might not be reef safe. Don't wanna go through that again. What would be your "show" fish in a 55g reef??

There aren't many options if any for the type os fish you seem to want. You would need a much bigger tank! Go ti liveaquaria.com and search by tank size that should give you a pretty good idea.

Maybe a male anthias and two females as a nice show piece, I also think a nice wrasse would be worth another shot..

What about a tomini/ flame fin tang? I don't think they need a big tank could easily be wrong

My dwarf lionfish is an amazing lookin fish and is in my 55....

Attachments

• image-2466357158.jpg
    image-2466357158.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 84
Beengirl said:
Since I removed the dwarf angel for eating coral, I now have no real decent sized fish in my DT. any ideas. All my fish are peaceful, never any fighting, max size they'll get is about 3". My tank's too small for the show fish I like. ( love the emperor angel) butterflyfish might give me the same problem as angel did. Pretty sure my last wrasse was killed by ruby crab while sleeping on the sand, so don't wanna get a wrasse. :( I'm running out of ideas. I was Considering a foxface, but then read they might not be reef safe. Don't wanna go through that again. What would be your "show" fish in a 55g reef??

Hmmm...ok, what if you exchanged your Ruby crab for a blood shrimp? They are very cool and peaceful not to mention they are great scavengers! People say they hide in caves but I've had two and they come out all day and the color is awesome! This would allow you to have bottom dwelling fish without the worry that they might become the crabs meal AND have the awesome color in your tank! Not sure if you are attached to him but it would help open up some options.

Animal-Chin said:
My dwarf lionfish is an amazing lookin fish and is in my 55....

That is a gorgeous fish, but he would eat every single fish in my tank for lunch. Lol. :)

I'll second the Anthias/Any schooling fish. I think a nice group of smaller fish may be better then one large show fish.

Most do, but some of the smaller ones would do alright in a 55 as long as there is plenty of room in the water column to swim.

Yes they have species that can be kept in a small tank if housed alone . But IMO they are a very delicate fish , shy eaters .

I know you probably know this, just clarifying for posterity sake. Anthias should never be housed "alone" they are a social fish and do well in groups. They can be kept in a species only tank. Most aren't shy eaters so much as they are finicky eaters. No two groups will eat the same thing it seems and you'll have to find the food that works best for you. Only buy anthias that are fat & happy, and ask your LFS what they are eating well. You'll also do well to feed them smaller portions more regularly throughout the day. (3-5) They are highly active fish with a fast metabolism, and will benefit more. Also "small tank" should never be anything smaller then a 50 gallon or 48" long tank for maximum 3-4 fish. They really need to jet around quite a bit to be happy.

Yea I always wanted them very pretty but I'm busy and 2 feedings a day would be a hassle for me

Hocky puck said:
How bout a tilefish?

Tilefish, huh? Hadn't even thought of those. The blue headed one is really pretty. I've never seen them in any of my lfs... Think I'll have to special order this. Thanks!!! That might be the one. :)

Uh-oh. Tilefish need to burrow? That might be a problem. Does anyone know if they burrow a lot and all over or just one small burrow? Afraid he might run into my pistol of he burrows a lot. That could end up with him getting "shot". That's worrisome. :(

Back
Top Bottom