Need LTA Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought my first anemone yesterday and could use some advice on its care. See the photos below (taken with a flash and actinics). I bought a Long Tentacle Anemome. The LFS convinced me it would be better for me because it settles in one place unlike a BTA which tends to roam and sometimes gets into trouble with equipment. The LTA looked healthy in the store so I rushed it home did a two hour acclimation and then into the tank it went. The LFS told me to place it on the sand and let it roam for a day till it found a good spot. I picked a clear spot where the water flow and light were good. The LTA moved around a little for about an hour (not sure if it moved on its own or was pushed by the current) and settled against a rock (naturally the biggest rock in the tank) at one end of the tank. He's been in that spot ever since, almost 24 hours now. He's laying on his side on the sand against the rock. I'm reluctant to try to move him or stand him up straight because I don't want to damage his foot if he's stuck himself to the rock. He looks kind of awkward and I'm sure he can't be getting the best light in that position. I turned off the powerhead that points to that area thinking it would encourage him to move... but nothing. Also, I haven't fed him anything yet.

Water specs:
temp 78F
SG 1.021 (low but working on it)
PH 8.0 (also a little low for now)
ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrates 0

Should I just let the LTA stay there and trust that he will move if he wants to? Should I try to feed him something? What?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 100_0490a.jpg
    100_0490a.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0491a.jpg
    100_0491a.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 202
Wow, that looks like a condy (haitian pink tip) to me.http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

If that is indeed a lta, it's very bleached. With anemones, you'll want to cover your intakes with sponges. Turning them off is ok but when you turn it back on, the anemones enviroment is gonna change again and cause it to move again. Other than the covers, I wouldn't move it. Let it find it's happy spot. It needs time. I wouldn't try to feed it just yet, you may do more harm than good by stressing it more.

Fluff,
I have a feeling he may have been bleached. This one is actually a light green color (looks white in photo), but all the other LTAs were dark green. The LFS said lightgreen was a natural color not bleached, but I'm not so sure anymore.
I have Aquaclear powerheads with Quickfilters attached. I hope those will be enough protection on the intakes.

A healthy lta should be brown/green in color. Here is a pic of mine when I first added it to the tank.

the can get sucked into the smallest of spaces. If it can be covered with sponge, I'd cover it. Or you can also use nylons if you don't have sponge available.

Latest news..... My LTA spent the day yesterday, like I said before, on his side in the sand against a rock. This morning he was attached to the rock about 6 inches above the sand. I guess he likes moving arround in the dark when just the lunar lights were on. Rather than try to locate him myself I'm going to let him roam and find his own "happy" spot (as Fluff said). I'll maintain the tank and try to make it as safe for him as I can. Wish me luck!

By the way... If this guy is in fact bleached as I suspect, is there anything special I can do for him to improve his chances of survival?

Once he gets settled, I would try offering it some vitamin soaked mysid shrimp. Just blow it around/over him. Don't try to force it to eat though. If he takes it the first time, I would do this maybe twice a week. That and good lighting will help him recoup. It will take time though.

The saga continues.....
Last night my LTA was still attached to the rock as he was in the morning. I did notice, however, his overall appearance seemed to be declining. His mouth was wide open, his tentacles appeared to be somewhat shorter, and several of his tentacles were partially "deflated" (sort of like when a balloon starts to loose its air). From what I read on the internet none of this sounded good. I thawed out a cube of mysis shrimp in some tank water, added a couple drops of Zoe, and tried to feed him with a turkey baster. With only one of the two powerheads running I put a small squirt of food in his tentacles. The mysis held there for a few seconds but was eventually blown away in the current. I then turned off the second powerhead for another try. With both powerheads off he just laid on the rock, his tentacles barely moved. I injected another shot of food into his tentacles and watched him for several minutes. It seemed like he didn't even realize the food was there. I waited several minutes keeping the fish away while I watched him. I turned one powerhead back on, thinking he needed the current to help him bring the food to his mouth. But all the shrimp that was in his tentacles just blew away.
This morning I checked the tank and saw he had disappeared from his spot on the rock. I found him in the back of the tank laying on his side in the sand in a narrow spot between the rock and glass. Its an area where there is a low current and is in the shadows of the rock. He was very close to the powerfilter intake so I decided to turn it off while he was there. As luck would have it, he picked the worst spot for me to reach if it becomes necessary. My wife called just a few minutes ago and said he hasn't moved from his new location and his tentacles are just laying in the sand. Almost motionless.
Wish me luck.... I may be pulling him out when I get home from work this afternoon.

It sounds really stressed. Trying to feed it may have stressed it more. Being as bleached as it is, its' probably lost it's stickiness as well. Don't bother trying to feed. Give him a few days to come around. I'd turn the ph's back on but cover them with some prefilter sponges or nylons. Keep your water prestine and hope for the best. I may come around.

Just got home and checked on my LTA. He's in the same spot in the back of the tank laying in the sand. It looks like a very small part of his foot is attached to the glass. Mouth is wide open. Tentacles are moving very slowly, many still look deflated. His once dark pink pedastel seems like it may have faded somewhat in color and may also have deflated a little too.

I want so much to save this little guys life and to do every thing I can to help him, but at the same time I don't want to risk the lives of the other inhabitants with ammonia poisoning. He seems to be declining more every day. Do I cut my losses and toss him or give him some more time?

Do you have a QT tank you could move it too? I'd hate to have you give up if there's a chance to save it.

Well it finally had to happen. I came home from work today and found my LTA looking horrible. His foot had almost flattened and lost its pink coloring, his tentacles were laying flat in the sand and had deflated considerably, and he was beginning to look slimy. I don't know if he had died but if not, he was close to it. I carefully removed him being careful not to loose any tissue in case he had started to decay. He wasn't sticky at all. I think I got all of him out in one piece. I checked my water parameters and all was good, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite checked at 0, ph at 8.3. alk at midrange, SG at 1.024. I'll check them daily for the next few days just to make sure everything stays good and have some water ready for a partial water change if necessary. I think if he had not been bleached, he would have survived. Next time I'll do my homework better and know what to look for in a healthy animal.

Thanks to all of you for your generous advice and words of encouragement.

I'm sorry. You might want to run some activated carbon in the system for a few days if you don't already.

Back
Top Bottom