Need new help, wife nixes initial plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

player676

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this in my local forum, but it didnt get much traction there. Hope I can get some good help here.

After showing my wife my fish ideas and showing her some options, she decided that we should have a reef tank. She thinks the smaller fish are "cuter". Since she shares in the tank work I think I am going to give in...kind of.

For those of you who didnt follow my original questions, and I apologize to those of you who helped me out. I hope you dont think it was a waste. I still may get my wish with a second tank. The tank in question is 180g. It will have about 300-350 lbs of live and base rock. I am not at the coral research stage, although I understand thats how I reef works For now I am just focusing on the fish. Basically because thats where my wife wants to focus for now. She isn't the best multi-tasker

So here is where I need help. She wants small fish, I like the bigger ones. I know nothing about gobies, blennies, etc. No idea if there are good or bad beginner ones. My initial focus was having 4-6 big fish and just having a FOWLR. My initial reefsafe list looks like this. Any advice on additions, subtractions or replacements would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I want to have inverts, especially cleaner shrimp. After seeing some of the tank pictures here, they seem so cool:

Purple Tang
Kole Tang
Foxface Lo
Yellow Stripe Maroon Clown
4-5 Chromis (for school purposes, can you mix colors?)

I think gobies, blennies and wrasses are cool but that could be one place where I get some help. I also know angels are hit or miss, but a flame angel is something I've always liked.

Thanks in advance everyone. People here have been so cool it makes me grateful I live in this area.

Mike

Dont worry Mike. Let your Wife get involved and ya`ll make this a family thing. It will take about a month to cycle and you`ll have plenty of time to research and put together a stocking list. You`ll be able to have shrimp. Some gobies will be good for your sand cleaning. I`ll let you in on the type I have as the time goes on. I`m looking forward to seeing this tank. Here is an article on cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Thanks, I am one of those people who has to map out and draw everything before I do it. I can't go in to things without a game plan. I have to learn how to do that. That's why I ask livestock questions and equipment questions before I even start. As soon as I sell the last of my freshwater fish, I'll start with the sand, skimmer and live rock and get things going. I'll keep you all updated.

You have so many different options here, wrasses, tangs, clowns, shrimp/sand sifting/cleaner gobys, dwarf angels, foxface, pseudos, dartfish etc!

Why don't you figure out how many fish you plan on having in your system and you each take turns picking a fish

Yes but be advised that clown goby's can nip at SPS if you plan to go that route. I have one in my SPS tank and have not experienced any issues but I have a lot of coral.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Not sure where I want to go with corals yet. My goal is too pick the fish and inverts first (either reef safe or mostly reef safe) and then figure out what corals I want with them.

Back
Top Bottom