Need new skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Sealife NV 150 similar to the one in this link http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro...KW=&SKW=F69&EDP=32505&T1=F69+0337+0006&PgNo=2 just a bigger size. It doesn't seem to pull much out of my water and my water is nevery really crystal clear. A cap 2200 runs it which I think may be some of the problem because I know they are very cheap pumps. Do I need a bigger/better skimmer, or should I go the route I was thiniking of with an ozone unit?

Did the cap2200 come with the skimmer? I see the ad shows that it comes with a pump. If the cap2200 is not the one that came with it do you know the size of the pump that is packaged with the skimmer? Your profile says you have a 110gal tank. The ad clames this skimmer is good for tanks up to 75gal so that would imply that your skimmer is undersized for the tank. Of course you said you have the 150 model so its probably rated for something like 120 or 150 gal tank. I like to half the manufactures recomendation for tank capacity so a 150 gal skimmer capacity would be equivlent to a 75gal capacity for effective skimming.

Ozone can be dangerious to you and your corals if not properly configured. I would make that a last alternitive.

Yes, the cap2200 did come with the skimmer. I've been reading a few books including The Conscientious Marine Aquarist on using Ozone and the author states that most untis made for aquarium use are rather safe however I have no experience with them, so I'll take your advise and look elsewhere to improve water clarity for now. I know that manufactuer number are pretty much worthless and wish I would have known that several months ago when I bought the unit :eek:

At any rate I'll probably be in the market for a new skimmer after I get my RO/DI, seems you are right that this skimmer would be suitable for a 75g tank.

Back
Top Bottom