Need Opinions Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxantonio11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first post was too brief.

I have a 55 freshwater with one filter that can do up to 90g. I would like to change it to a saltwater tank.

The fish I would want is:
Snowflake Eel

I have had my tank for 2 months and have not done a single water change but fish are fine. I have not bought new filter cartridges but I have cleaned them. This makes my tank super easy!

How much more money would I have to spend monthly. I am spending about $0 now. :)

How much would I have to put down on stuff like a sump... And mandatory stuff! I am not trying to go crazy. This will be my first attempt.

How much would I have to put weekly or monthly.

How much harder is it? As of now it is super easy and just take 5 minutes a day.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Max

For a start even if you stay freshwater you will need to start doing water changes and replacing filter cartridges. Sumps are much cheaper to make than to buy have a look on YouTube or here for ideas you would be looking at a reasonable amount to start off though as you will need about 55 pound live rock nd a skimmer to start at basic level the price would vary on live rock depending where you are and there are plenty of skimmers on amazon, eBay, etc so look through those. Snowflakes are nice fish to be honest so good choice there though

I can't contribute much to your questions but one thing I do know for sure is that weekly water changes are an absolute must. This of course requires you to purchase a salt mix. Good luck :)

You don't have to but will be much more common water changes needed I would demo recommend the love rock may get away with a little less though

I think you could get away with 40lbs but highly recommend it. You will 100% need to do water changes and need a skimmer. A sump is not a necessity but nice. You will need those, plus power heads and sand or saltwater substrate or even bare bottom. And obviously salt.

So something like this:
Rock: 4-7lb x40 to 55
Skimmer: 100-300 depends on what u want
Power heads: 40 x2
Substrate: 50-60
Salt: 35-80

So something around $450 I'd estimate in total but it all depends on what brands, sizes, and quality if items.

Back
Top Bottom