Need opinions please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to make a change to my 40 breeder, softy/LPS tank.

I'm running a Reef octo BH2000 in conjunction with an AC70 that has Matrix, GFO, and PhosGard stacked in the media tray.

I'm looking to simplify a bit, and nix the chemical phosphate removal in the AC70, as well as remove the BH2000 because it barely pulls anything out anyways due to a small bioload.

I'd like to remove the skimmer and filter, and add a CPR HOB refugium, that holds almost 5 gallons of water. My main question here is would I be able to have comparable phosphate and nitrate reduction with the use of macroalgae in the fuge? It seems like a more natural way to me as well, and also less maintenance... Plus would be pod breeding heaven and I may be able to add a mandarin down the line... Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No a fuge that small will not do anything close to your current filtration set up. Fuges really need to be pretty big to have a substantial impact on nutrient removal IMHO.

Thank you... Again. That being said, I'm considering scrapping the HOB and setting up a dual reactor under the tank and feed it with a MaxiJet. I can run GFO in one, and carbon in the other. Thoughts on that bigreds?

You setting up a sump? I'd still rather have a skimmer than a carbon reactor, the gfo is very efficient so make sure you have an accurate phosphate test so you don't strip the system bare. Just my $.02 though, if your dead set on getting rid of the hob then do it, it sounds like you've stocked responsibly and that should keep your nitrates in check with wc's.

No sump. Going to keep the skimmer for DOC's. Considering the reactor to replace the HOB filter...

Cool. You know of a smaller profile pump than a MaxiJet?

Never used the maxi jet but you should be able to find something on bulkreefsupply, they give the physical specs of all their products so I'd start there

Purchase confirmed... Single reactor, and all the plumbing to route it below my tank (no sump)... Here's to a clean install!

Back
Top Bottom