Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need Ozoneator Advise

Hello,

My tank has experienced an increased growth of green hair algae. My LFS recommended an Ozonator. He offered a product by Red Sea that was around $200 with the air dryer unit. Will this actually reduce or stop the algae growth? If so what are some recommended models?

Thanks,

Van

Old 03-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ozone to kill hair algae?? Never heard of it....

Lets try to find out WHY you have a hair algae problem in the first place. What do you feed and how much? What kind of water are you using? Tap, RO/DI, etc?? Do you test for phosphorous in the water? If so, what is that reading?

Old 03-18-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Phosphate level are zero. I have been using my city water for that last year and a half without incident. My city water test zero for phosphates as well. I was debating between a Ro unit and this ozonator. My LFS said the ozonator would "burn up the excess biological material in my water, thus cutting off the food supply to the algae. He had on running on one of his tanks to do just this.

Thanks,

Van
Old 03-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have been using my city water for that last year and a half without incident. My city water test zero for phosphates as well.
I bet this would be your problem. Why has it taken a over a year to crop up? Dunno... Perhaps a change of food brand or amount suddenly spurred it. Perhaps changing salts or not doing enough water changes did it. Really hard to tell. Its a little odd that you have zero phosphates yet have "increased growth of green hair algae" in your tank. What phosphate test kit are you using and how old is it? Also, have you taken a nitrate reading in your tank recently. A high nitrate level can also cause algae growth.

Anyway, a RO/DI unit is ideal. I am not going to tell you that you *have* to have one, as quite frankly, some people don't use them. But I think that would solve a lot of your nutrient import problem. Cutting back on feedings may also help.

Wait around to see if anyone else has comments about using O3 for algae. I have never heard of it, but perhaps someone has and the LFS isn't totally crazy...
Old 03-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Ozone use is old school. Albert Thiel used to recommend it in his books. The idea was to increase the redox potential enought to oxidize the "bad" stuff. I don't recommend it. Use ozone in your hot tub not your fish tank. Too dangerous, too many side effects, pain in the butt to use. If you add anyting to your tank you should be testing for it. Ozone is no exception. Redox meters and platinum probes are not cheap. An RO/DI filter will run you a couple bills and is well worth the money. You will be way ahead of the game if you use one. Less feeding will also help with the hair algae. Get some algae eaters - snails, hermits, lawnmower, etc.

Mark

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com