Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need powerhead recommendation...and had a disaster

So, a beautiful baby tang that I rescued from a LFS was sucked into my powerhead. Not where you might think though. It's a Powersweep by zoomed...a self-rotating head alternates the current. I've been ultra-happy with it until now. There's a whell to adjust the amount of flow...and apparently water gets sucked in at the whell. It pulled the poor baby tang into it and it was stuck there. I'm so angry. So I need recommendations on some good powerheads, that I can cover the bottoms to, so they won't suck anything up. The powersweeps have sponges on the main intake, but the wheel allowed suction to get in. I have a few roaming things, and plan on anemones in the future (please, I know. Please don't yell at me for this), and I absolutely refuse to run a high risk of anything being sucked into my powerheads. I'll also need advice on a powerhead on/off-wavemaker-timer thing. Thanks.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure it didn't die and then get drawn there by the current?

Sorry for the loss btw

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, because the horrible thing was...he was alive in there. He was swimming around, with a terrible spot on his side...but he seemed awake...went around pecking at algae, I went to the store to survey new powerheads, and he's now gone. I'm liking the Seio pumps. Anyone know if these can be covered by sponge or the like? Still looking for a powerhead-on/on-wavemaker thing. Thanks for the sympathies Atari, I'm just upset it was such a little one.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 08-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

CoralLife has a power strip with 4 switching outlets that can be set to switch back and forth every 15 minutes. Looks good?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard good things about it yeah.

Not a fan of the Maxijet1200's ? Once you get the sponges on them they are pretty safe.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i like the penguin style pumps, had good luck with them so far!
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
I've heard good things about it yeah.

Not a fan of the Maxijet1200's ? Once you get the sponges on them they are pretty safe.
Why dont you like maxijets?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey TyGer, I think Atari was asking if dansemacabre likes the MJ 1200's, not saying that he doesn't like them - note the question mark. I second the MJ 1200. I have a variety of size fish and inverts and have had no problems so far. They are more likely to get swayed by the heavy current than drawn to the suction.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

LFS talked me into spending the big bucks on a Tunze6000. It pumps several thousand gallons an hour and has a control panel that you can buy that generataes alternating current has a food timer that allows you to stop the current for 5 minutes by pushing a single button. So far so good...but I don't have any anenemes yet, or really small fish. It has no sponge. It is designed only to be a powerhead so the intake area is spread all the way around the whole powerhead instead of in a small area to attach a tube, like most powerheads.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh yea! Meant to say it is a Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit 6000.

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com