Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Need Protein Skimmer Help Please!

I'm planning to add a protein skimmer to my 46 gallon saltwater tank and could use some help. I've spent some time reading up on the different ones available and I've narrowed it down to either a CPR Bak-Pak 2R or a AquaC Remora (with MaxiJet 1200 pump). I'm sure either one will do a fine job. It also looks like I have ample room on the back of the tank to hang either one. My only concern is this..... The open gap on the top of the tank between the top plastic trim of the tank and the back edge of the glass lid is only 1 7/8 inches. Is 1 7/8 inches enough of an openning for the inlet/outlet tubes, pump, surface skimmer box, etc to slip down in to? I want to make sure that I won't have any interference between the glass lid and the parts of the skimmer that actually go into the tank.

Thanks for your help!

* John *
46 gal Bowfront
36 inch Coralife 192 watt Lunar Aqualight with a 10K & Actinic
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you go to CPR's website, they give the dimensions of the skimmer...I'm guessing Remora does too.
1 7/8" should be enough for the inlet tube, but you'll probably have to put it in, then attach the pump and pre-skim box. The return tube, however....I'm not so sure it'll fit.

I don't use a glass top...I run open top.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
I will measure up my remora when i get home and let you know. It should fit though.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also do not use glass tops. It allows for better gas exchange, and it keeps the heat down some. You will have more evaporation though, which in essence is good.
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote

protein, protein skimmer, protein skimmer help, skimmer, skimmer help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com