Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Need QT setup advice

Having learned my lesson the hard way I am setting up a qt tank.I have a 10 gal.tank i can use with a small biowheel type filter,heater ,light,airstone,etc.Do I need any type of substrate?What about treatments?Lenght of qt?Is this size tank ok?Do i need a p/h?I guess i want all the answers. doh

The Gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Bare bottom is best, no substrate. Add some pvc pieces (45s, 90s and straight) of various sizes for hiding space.
Put the biowheel in the sump of the display tank for a week or longer (mine is always there) to allow the bacteria to grow on it. An airstone is not needed. I do run a small PH in mine.
30 days is normal time for QT of new fish.
No treatments unless the fish show signs of needing it during the 30 days.
10 gallons is fine for 1 or 2 small fish at a time. That should be all you should ever add a time anyway.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just echoing what cmor said. I use the exact same setup (10g, PVC elbows, heater, biowheel) but don't use any additional powerhead.

The reason you don't want substrate is in case you have to use medications. Any type of substrate or live rock can interfere with the medications. For example, sand/rock will suck copper out of your tank quicker than it can do any good. But like cmor, I don't medicate the QT unless there is an obvious reason to.

When I quarantined by clown goby, I bought one of those fake plastic acropora corals to make him feel more at home. He seemed to prefer it over the PVC.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I have used some rock if no copper or meds were used. At the point I needed to add something like that, I put the rock in the main or my main's sump.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com