Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Talking Need reef info freak

When changing from fwlr to reef, I would like to replace my substrate, like 1/3 at a time. I'll replace it with fresh argonite sand as I go along. I feel it would be best if I did this before thinking about buying any corals. Also, would it be better if I bought rock, not live rock, set it up and let it get live in time. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So your converting a running fowlr? How much rock do you currently have and how long has it been running?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank will probably experience changes with any replacement of sand or addition of rock. Since you already have live rock, adding dry rock would better since it does not contain the die off that can cause a mini cycle. However dry rock will take time to become live and you should be keeping a close eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during this process.

Changing out you sand should be no problem. Again using dry sand will avoid ammonia spikes. Live sand will have dieoff.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not much. Maybe 15lbs. It's been be running about 3 yrs. Has a nice purple color on one side almost looks like a lava flow. I was hoping to create a nice design with new unseasoned rock, placing it in the tank and perhaps place one coral on the live rock that's in there already for a start.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Get squared away with the rock and sand first. Dont know how large a tank this is or how many/what fish are in it, but that would be helpful. If you want to replace the substrate, do it at once. Just cure it in a bucket w/ a heater and ph first. Then remove the old substrate and put the new in w/ a piece of pvc to avoid making a mess of the water. If not done like that, can really stress out and harm your fish.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sniper is right about the substrate and if you'd like to add rockwork id go with all base rock so that you don't have to worry about curing or any spikes..with your tank being 3 yrs old your rock in it now should be very established
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sniper Hank & Mrc8858: Thanks for the info. My tank is 50gal. Livestock: 2 clowns, 1 coral beauty, 1butterfly, 1 canary wrasse. Other: 1 brittle star, 1 gobi and 1scooter blennie. I have no idea what curing the sand means...I can buy the sand, and I have enough room to set up a tub to cure, if you could be more specific on how to cure the sand and for how long, I'm all ears especially keeping the ph at the proper level.

Another question...when I do finally get my first coral or two, how does one attach it to the rock or don't you? I'm well aware this process will take quite a while and that makes it all the more intriging.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com