Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We have had the protein skimmer since we got the tank 2 years ago. It is a Marineland that is supose to do a tank size up to 200 gallons. We bought one size larger than recommended. It worked for a very long time, but has only had trouble since the last cleaning. I think I will remove it and clean it again. Maybe I didnt put it together right or the pump might need cleaning. The pump is a rio 2500.

Maybe we have been trying to make too many adjustments to it to get it to work. I forgot about the break in period. Thanks. I feel better now. I think I will do the water change, clean the skimmer and pump and keep it on low until it is re-broke in. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks so much to all of you!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #12

Well, We blacked out the tank for 3 days. It killed the red slime completely and helped a lot with the green hair. The green hair is not gone completely but it is considerably better. I also vaccumed and did a water change along with redoing the rock set up in my tank. We added a new sump pump. We haven't re-hooked up the skimmer yet, but plan to tonight. It does look a lot better. Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's going to come back if the nutrient levels aren't kept under control. How often are you feeding? I would suggest feeding a lot less than you are now and increasing water changes for a few months.
I disagree with blacking out the tank because the algae is a symptom of the problem. It will only appear to be better until the lights are running again.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
I would say your sump is a bit small for that size tank but that shouldn't cause the hair algae problem. You say you went to a larger skimmer and the bubbles don't seem to reach the top. Is you water level at least to the minimum water level required for the skimmer?

Another cause of algae outbreak is overfeeding. How much and what do you feed? How many fish?

Lastly, while not addressing the cause, you can kill the algae off by blacking out the tank for a few days. Turn the lights out and cover it with a blanket or something. Make sure you still get good gas exchange but try to eliminate all source of light. If you do that for 3 days the fish and corals will be fine but the algae will be history.
When I suggested blacking out the tank I pointed out it was not a cure for the source of the problem but a means to get rid of what was already in place. I also pointed out that overfeeding was most likely the problem.

Oh, and I think I learned that from you. hehehehe
Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #15

We have cut back feeding because of this. We were feeding daily and apparently too much. We have also cut back the lights. They were on for too long. Our levels are testing fine, but I still intend to do weekly waterchanges for a while. Just until everything is completely gone. Other than lights and food, what else causes it?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old are your bulbs in yur lights?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
When I suggested blacking out the tank I pointed out it was not a cure for the source of the problem but a means to get rid of what was already in place. I also pointed out that overfeeding was most likely the problem.

Oh, and I think I learned that from you. hehehehe
I was only disagreeing with the blackout, not the rest.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #18

My lights are T5HO and I just bought the fixture in December.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I was only disagreeing with the blackout, not the rest.
No problem. Just regurgitating what I have heard from others. What made my mind up was when I sat in on a presentation by Marc from melevsreef concerning pest. He spoke at the local reef club a couple months back. This subject came up and he said he had used it several times to get hair algae under control. But yes, he also confirmed overfeeding was the cause and without solving that problem it will always return.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used the blackout method combined with less feeding it worked good for me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com