Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

need some advice...

I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank, which includes live rock (not sure how much), a hitchhiker crab, which I believe he is a stone crab, which is filtered by a skilter 400 (skimmer doesn't work), lighting is one actinic and florescent bulb(not sure how many watts).
Nitrate is high. 1. Do I need a skimmer? 2. Or should I get a better filter?
3. How long do lights last? 4. I want to turn this into a reef tank and was wondering what type of lighting I should use or is this good enough. The bulbs are more than 2 years. Finally, all my fish died due to a high ammonia spike caused by 2 year old daughter dumping spongebob squarepants cookies into the tank. I got the ammonia and nitrite at 0, but nitrate still high. 5. What fish is a good starter for the reef tank? Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You probably have 24" bulbs at 20W a piece over the tank... (a 29 is one of those odd tank sizes which doesn't have a corresponding bulb length). 2 years is much to old for anything except fish. Normal fluorescents last 6 months, while CF and VHO can last to 12 months on a good ballast. Look into a 2-4x65 CF fixture, they may even make one for a 30" tank.

Without knowing a rough figure of LR its hard to say if it is enough filtration. How much does it "fill the tank"?

5ppm nitrates isn't bad at all

A skimmer is always a good thing.

Occel and Percula clowns are rather hardy.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus
Look into a 2-4x65 CF fixture, they may even make one for a 30" tank.
Agreed you'd actually be able to keep a wide variety of corals with PC lights but I think you meant 2x65w PC, 4x65w would be too long for the tank(typically 48"). Current USA makes a stock 30" fixture. Check the sponsor forums, many offer AA members discounts.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, forgot the length of the bulbs comes into play

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would say there is probably about 30-40 lbs of live rock. It takes up between a third and half the tank I would say.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
steve-s

That's actually a good amount of rock for biofiltration. I'd check the fish compatibilty on the home page and make a "wish list" of the fish you'd like and then get feedback on it. Much easier that way and it opens up more possibilties.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com