Need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chandria

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have finally decided to get a salt water tank and need some help. :)

I have had freshwater aquariums growing-up and I really enjoyed it. I always wanted to start a salt water tank, but somehow the timing was never right and I moved around a lot. I have been reading books on the topic and came up with the following set-up.

Please note that the space I have available can only accommodate a 46 gallon tank, I do realize that it will require more maintenance, but 55 gallon is just too big for that spot, so I will have to make do with that. I really am determined and don't want to wait any longer. :)

So here it is:

46 gallon Bow front glass tank (matching wood stand and hood)
Eheim Powerline 2252 Interior Filter ( I really need advice on this, I am trying to have the tank flushed with the wall, so and interior filter would be my best option, but not sure if it will handle the tank. Also, I would like to get a filter that is quite. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.)
Hydor Ario (blue) Air Pump
Jager 200W 15" Heater (I do live on SW Florida, will I really need a heater?)

Well, this is all I have for now. I was reading up on Protein Skimmers, but not sure if that is necessary for me to get right now...or I can just get that down the road. I was looking at the AquaC Remore w/Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump.)

I am also thinking about using the following for decoration:

Crushed white coral sand
Reef builder rock
Artificial corals (I have no choice on this as 46 gallon will not support a reef tank, that is going to have to wait. :)

Also for the first few weeks I was thinking of putting some Demsils in there.

I think that is it. Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

To be continued...

Chandria :)

WELCOME TO AA! :)

The first thing you will find is that there are some differences between freshwater and saltwater. I'm not sure about your filter, as I have no experience with it, but trying to have your aquarium right against the wall may be a difficult task to achieve. I've always had 4 to 6 inches just in case I need to get behind it.

Not sure what the air pump is for? Ideally, you are not going to want to have a bubble maker in the saltwater aquarium. You WILL need something to move around the water, such as powerheads. Personally, I have two Maxi-Jet 900s in my 46-gallon bow front.

Heater? You may not need it at certain times of the year, but if the temperature ever drops below 75 (I assume it does), I would recommend having one just for the purposes of stability.

A 46-gallon will not support a reef aquarium? You'd be quite shocked to find many members on this forum who have nano-reefs in aquariums as small as 5 or 10 gallons! :) If you don't feel comfortable with it, I wouldn't change your plans, but a 46 gallon is plenty large enough to go reef if you are willing to put forth the effort to set up the necessary components.

A few other points:
1) Are you planning to have any live rock? Live rock can help you with your filtration, and is such an incredible positive for saltwater aquariums, it would be a shame if you had none.
2) I would recommend a protein skimmer. If you have enough live rock, and a good skimmer, you may not need a secondary filter at all!
3) As far as the damsels, are these simply for the cycle? Many fish will not get along with damsels well, so you may want to think about that before getting them. If you plan to use them to cycle, you might catch some flak here. Using live rock would be a much simpler (and humane) way to cycle a tank.

Congrats on finding this forum! I have found it absolutely invaluable personally! :)

Paul

Why wont your 46 gallon support a reef tank. I have a buddy of mine that has a 46 gallon reef tank. Never heard of that rock. Just make sure you have LR and you`ll be good to go with your sand. HOB skimmer would be good.

yep, I got a 46 bow that I'm setting up as a reef tank right now too.

Why do you need your tank flush against the wall? do you not have room to have it out 4-6 inches? or just not like the look?

If it's a looks thing, I have mine out about 4.5" and I just built siding and a hood/cap for it so it doesn't look like it's not flush.

I don't think you'll be happy with a filter inside the tank, it will detract from the beauty of the aquascape and fish by giving an unnatural look, IMO. I would pull the tank out a little and use a HOB skimmer and have 50+ lbs of LR and do without the filter. Or get a small 10G sump and have it all down there.

Here's a couple of pics of the built enclosure:

Attachments

• img_1672_183.jpg
    img_1672_183.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 342
  • img_1673_144.jpg
    img_1673_144.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 346
  • img_1674_190.jpg
    img_1674_190.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 340
  • img_1692b_606.jpg
    img_1692b_606.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 342
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your reply, I am really happy to hear that I can do a reef tank with a 46 gallon tank.

So, if I have a live rock and a skimmer I do not need a filter at all? How much live rock should I put in a 46 gallon tank? Also, what type of corals should I start with?

I had no idea that I didn't need an air pump. So, I would just need the powerheads to move the water around?

As far as the heater goes...what type of heater do you have?

Also, after I have the tank set-up and cycled it...what type of fish do you recommend for me to start with?
quo
Thank you again for the great tips, I am very excited about the possibility of a reef tank...originally that is what I really had in mind.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Chandria

I would start with 50 lbs of live rock and see how that does ya. depending on the porosity of the rock, it may look good, or still look skimpy within the tank. If you like the look, it should be enough for an average bioload. But if you are going to push the stocking limits, I'd put 1.5 lbs per Gallon in. 75lbs or so. I think more than that will start to look cramped and unnatural IMO. I think with more than 75 lbs of rock, you'd start to limit yourself with aquascaping options, it would just be a big pile.

No airstone, it'll just create more saltcreep. A couple of maxi-jet 1200 will work great in there.

As for stocking fish, what kinda of fish do you want in there. What fish made you want to get into the hobby. I would put together a list of fish and people will gladly tell ya what will and won't work in your tank, and in what order to introduce them.

we could give you a list of fish, but it's your hobby, and you who has to look at them all the time, so you should choose based on what you like. Some may and may not be suitable though.

Cheers,

Ryan,

Thank you, I will do that...put together a list and post it. :)

Back
Top Bottom