Need some advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to remove the Bio-Wheel from my filter. I have the Eclipse3 hood and if your familiar with it, the filter dumps into the first chamber ... where you would run a carbon pad, to which I have filled up with LR rubble! Then it dumps into the second chamber that holds the Bio-Wheel ... If I was to just remove it would I screw things up?

Water Params ...

Temp - 79
Ph - 8.2
SG - 1.025
Ammo - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 0-5
Alk- normal (wierd test kit)
Ca - 400ish

29 gallon and I have approx. 53lbs of LR in the tank and then probably another 1/2 to 1lb in the hood! :D

Thanks,
Jermz

Well ... I took out the Bio-Wheel yesterday and checked my parameters this morning and everything was good. So far.
I will check them again tonight to see if there was any flux during the day. I highly doubt it! I feel so much better not having that Bio-Wheel in there, that thing was already nasty and my tank is only about 2 months new!

Its supposed to be nasty -- its a sponge for beneficial bacteria. Though they do say not to run with SPS *shrugs*; can't recall why, tho.

Curious why you're wanting to remove it?

Are you replacing it with another form of filtration?

schoeplein said:
Curious why you're wanting to remove it?

No reason really, other than I have read more bad then good about them!
and my tank is flourishing so why run a risk of causing problems?

schoeplein said:
Are you replacing it with another form of filtration?

Not really replacing but I do have about 55lbs of LR in my tank, with about 1/2 - 1lb being in the direct flow of my pump! 1.8ish lbs of LR per gallon with 2 MaxiJet 900 for flow and then the Eclipse hood as well seems good enough filtration! And it seems to be working.

I just hope I don't run into more problems down the road by removing it! :(

Tested again this morning and all my levels are perfect ...

Ammo - 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 0

My nitrates were running between 0-5 ... more like 5 according to the color card, and since the removal of the Bio-Wheel they have dropped to 0!!!! All I have to say is LR is completely amazing stuff ... it's still hard for me to believe that if you run a sufficient amount of LR that you don't need any other source of filtration!

Well since I removed my Bio-wheel I have had no problems at all!

Only thing is now I was watching the tank closely last night and noticed as the Hermits pick at my LR they create huge bursts of stuff that seems to endlessly float around in the water!

I never noticed this before and am wondering is that because the Bio-wheel was collecting most of this stuff or what? If so what is the best thing to use to catch some of this stuff, it is rather annoying!

Thanks
Jermz

Back
Top Bottom