Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

need some coral fragging advice!

I have successfully fragged mushroom and hairy mushroom corals in the past. What I did was gently take a fairly small specimen of each coral(about 1 inch across) and took a pair of sharp sterilized scissors(for only fragging) and cut each coral in half. I had small plastic containers and filled these with some live sand to weigh them down. I placed two of the same specimen in each container( purple hairy mushroom, normal purple mushroom, and orange normal mushroom.) and covered in in cheap veiled material and placed it in the tank. I did this so I could monitor there growth and make sure they didn't get blown away by the current. I fed them a little coral vite every day and in 4 days they turned into healthy full grown specimens. My question is, is their any other corals that frag with such ease? I am looking to frag more than just mushroom corals, and am up for a fairly challenging fragging experience.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Most acros are really easy to frag. Just cut a piece off the stalk, super glue ( gel ) it to a piece of LR and let it grow.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I've never fragged any of my lps as I bought them all as frags, but sps are pretty simple to do. I've had fish or a crab knock them over before I had secured them and break small pieces off. Glue to rock and instant frags. When you cut them yourself though, you want to cut it like you would a tree, right at the branch.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I fragged my thin finger leather with shears. They are very easy to do. I have a thread on how I did it somewhere here on the site.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, coral, frag

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com