Need Some Dwarf Feather Duster Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone kept these before? I saw one at the lfs the other day and wasnt sure what it was. I asked my former boss and he just said it was a feather duster. Immediately I just had to get it. It look sooo cool with its pink/purple color and there were more layers of crowns which made me want to buy it.

Are they an easy form compared to the general feather dusters? I have a Caribbien duster and I havent target feed it for maybe close to 2 months now and its size has widened by maybe half of an inch and lengthened maybe a little less than 1 inch. So if I just let the dwarf duster by itself, will it survive given the fact that I'm assuming there is alot to eat in the water column since my other duster is still growing.

Also, I've noticed some wierd behavior with the dwarf duster. Maybe an hour or two bbeforfe the lights go off, it goes into its tube and doesn't come out until the next day when I get out from bed. is this anything to worry about. I can't tell if its stressed out or not and I'm not sure what to do.

TIA

Please post a pic of your new "feather duster". It doesn't sound like one, sounds more like a coco worm or christmas tree worm.

Cheers
Steve

same idea on the christmas tree worm. I have several that are like that. They are soooo awesome looking. Came on some lr that I purchased.

:roll: I was hoping that wouldnt be the answer. Under liveaquaria, they classified it as difficult. Is there any reason why? And do I need to do anything special for them?

Christmas tree worms tend to be rather difficult to keep due to their picky nature in food choices. The worm is also generally found on/within porites which is an SPS. If the conditions of your tank are not geared towards SPS keeing generally, it is possible you may lose both.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Christmas tree worms tend to be rather difficult to keep due to their picky nature in food choices......it is possible you may lose both.

umm yea.... thats the ironic part. My Christmas Tree came by itself, no rock, no coral, no parter. Just one single worm- contrary to literally every post about christmas trees on this forum. Thats why I thought it was a dwarf. Tomorrow when it comes out, I'll try to post a pic of the entire thing. I'm trying to get it attached to the lr but it keeps slipping away so I'll be able to get a shot of what I mean.

heres what i mean. its not attached to anything and it didn't come with a pair.

Attachments

• 08_09_3.jpeg
    08_09_3.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 08_09_2.jpeg
    08_09_2.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 51
That is a coco worm, Protula bispiralis. Be very sure reef chemistry is maintained consistantly for it's tube. It will be somewhat as difficult as the christmas tree worm.

Cheers
Steve

I'm slowly switching over from IO to Kent salt so eventually the ca/alk will balance out for its tube. The only thing is how do I know my tank is mature enough to support the bacteria that it needs to feed on? My tank is about 6 months and I'm afraid that as it gets bigger, its slowly going to deplete its food source because its in a 15 gallon right now.

As of now I just target feed it Kent Mircrovert every other day and maybe it gets some of the liquidfied parts of my blender mush whenever it manages to filter some of it out. My blender mush is more of a carnivorous mix because the fish get algae matter from Formula 2 flake.

Is this enough for my worm as of now?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom