Need some lighting advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bulldog12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok heres the deal. I have a 140 gallon oceanic tank with canopy. Currently I have 4 55 watt compacts and 2 regular fluescents bulbs. Definitely not enough light. I currently have to keep the glass top on the aquarium because we have dogs in the house and I am worried about hair and junk getting in my tank. So that being said what do you guys think I should get to get more light. If I was to get a Hamilton metal halide system would I be able to keep the glass on?? I also definitely don't want to have to deal with a chiller. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 word, Eggcrate. Keeps an open top but also keeps junk out of the tank. You dont want a glass top it just inhibits the gas exchange in the tank and will probably raise your ph.

I would also suggest eggcrate, what kind of filtration do you have on the tank? That will also help you acheive better water quality that will get into the water. For ex: dog hair will float on the top but if you have a overflow this will trap the hair for easy cleaning. HTH

You dont want a glass top it just inhibits the gas exchange in the tank and will probably raise your ph

Good advice except for the PH thing... Glass tops cause PH to decrease because of the lack of oxygen to the tank..

I would also caution you with a glass top. My glass broke due to the high heat of the MH bulb and the glass fell in my tank hitting my fav clam right on top of the noggin...

Back
Top Bottom