need some lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi. i have been a member of this forum for a long time. some of u guys may remember me. i used to post ALOT. but alot of my free time is occupied now so i havent been on. but ya. my 15 gal tank is still going strong but unfortunatly my light has burnt out. i thought it was justa bulb but i replaced it and it still did not work. it is this unit here

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA...life24aqualightpowercompactstriplight1x65watt

my question is..... i also have a fresh water planted aquarium running 4 20 watt t8 bulbs. so 80 watts total output with a mirrored reflector. i know PC lighting is more efficient then t8 but would 65 watts of PC be equivilant of 80 watts of t8. i am obviously going to change the bulb set up to accomadate the saltwater. i was thinking about just ordering a new 65 watt PC light for the freshwater and leaving the 80 watt t8 on the salt. i am just after a few opinions on the light set up. here is a pic of my tank cause i dont want to describe everything in there. only thing that has really changed is the anenome is no longer there. he outgrew the tank.

img_910579_1_1c94a8c1b86d0872a04ea9142f5ac22f.jpg

see the thread below for additional information.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/6-months-later-what-do-u-think-95719.html

these pics are with the 65 watt pc. the 80 watt t8 do not have the proper colour bulbs. i dont have an acetinic(sp?) bulb in there. i dont want to spend alot of money. i can get the same fxture that has been working well for me for about 70 bucks shipped. so that was my price range. if i ever update then i will go to something better like t5 or MH. but for now i just need to get something ordered asap to get it back going. just need some opinions on it. order the 65 watt PC for the fresh tank and buy a new bulb for the t8 set up to suit the salt water? would that be more benificial then running the PC set up? i am probably gonna go with the new PC fixture but i just wanted some opinions.

lol ok. so u dont think there would be any benifits to the 80 watts of t8 over the 65 watts of pc? i am mainly stuck on the price of a PC light compared to anything else. but i have never tested t8's and saltwater before. only my freshwater application.

I think you'd also be better with the PCs, if only that you know they were working well on the tank and why mess with it. You'd still have to buy a new light for the FW tank anyway.

Welcome back, BTW, we missed you! Hope to see you around these parts more. And the tank looks great as well.

Back
Top Bottom