Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Great article, I'll read it more in a sec.

Say I want to use my wetdry filter for the sump. Would I need to drill a hole in the side, or could the pipe that comes from the overflow just hang inside the sump?

Then I would have the other plumbing attached to a pump underwater that would push it back into the tank, right?

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
i wouldnt use a check valveand count on it at all !! the best way is to run the system so your pump dont suck air !! then turn off the pump wait a few min then add water to the sump to where ever ya want with out overflowing it !
then start the pump and run it for a few min and then mark a line were the water level is and keep the water at this line or below it,will keep it from never overflowing

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
to be perfect about it your always better to have your fuge above your main tank !!
but you could have you overflows drain into your fuge say the 30 gallon then you would have to have it drilled for a bulkhead or buy another overflow but it then would drain into your cpr sump via the same way it would if it was hooked to your overflows then yes the pump pumps back to the main tank !
good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Scuba's on the ball... check valves are too easily faulted in an aquarium system unless you pay big bucks for an industrial one. As scuba said once your sump is all set up and connected, get it filled with water. At this point your plumbing lines will be empty. Turn the pump on and allow it to run for a few minutes to work out as much air form the return and overflow lines as you can, then turn it off. THe water in the return line will fall back into your sump and the little bit of water in the overflow line will fall down into the sump as well. check the level of water in your sump and add some if you feel it necessary. And mark it and use it as Scuba explained.

One additional note, on your return line to the tank, drill a small, 1/8", hole in that pipe inside the tank, just below the water level. This way, when you shut the pump off, your return line won't siphon water out of your tank. (big bad messy wetness all over your floor)
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by bound_for_obx
CBRGuy, could you place a smaller tank inside your sump and use it as a fuge? ie: a ten gallon tank inside a rubbermade tub. Use a powerhead to pump water into the tank and just let it overflow however it wants...
Just an idea
Hey that's not a bad Idea thanks.. duh why didn't I think of that!. I have some room on the return side I can just sit it on the edges. Now I am off to target to find a small rubermaid container.
CBRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0

Everything you need to know is at that link. Enjoy!

Oh, and as far as my input on check valves go, there is a clear one sold at marine depot that is awesome. Both ends cement to you plumbing, but the center section has threads at the top and bottom and can be unattached from the plumbing for cleaning or all out replacement. The best part is that you can see into the clear valve and you'll know when its time to clean it. Anyhow, just thought I would mention that, as until this product I condemed the use of them myself.
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ha...ha..that reminds me of the Apollo 13 story where they had to make a C02 stripper from duct tape and stuff they found around the spacecraft....

The foam blocks could be useful, if you could direct the water to flow through them in the sump..and you might make use of some of the PVC pipe bits on the return pipe....looks like you've got a return nozzle that would go in the main tank to deliver the water back into the tank.

Other than that...you've got a lot of sump'tin that adds up to not'tin.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

led, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com