Need to find a replacement for my trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, it seems that my attempt to keep a blue throat trigger has failed in that he is going to end up killing my clowns if I don't rehome him. So I've been trying to find a sizable fish that can take his place. The tank is a 90g mixed reef.

He was originally going after all the fish in the tank, but apparently he got sick of the tang spearing him in retaliation and the wrasse is too fast so he started taking his anger out on the clowns instead.

Currently my stock is:
2 - Occ Clowns
1 - Snowflake blenny
1 - Pink Spot goby
1 - McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1 - Yellow Tang

The yellow tang is still a little guy at around 3" so my tank looks very very empty without the trigger in it. I'm not particularly worried about my inverts staying safe but would prefer something that wouldn't keep trying to murder my clowns. Just throw some suggestions at me :)

Marine beta? Or how about a couple ladies for your mccoskers so he really struts his stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any of the dwarf Angels should be a good fit, such as a flame angel. If you want larger, fox face is a good choice as it gets large but is usually peaceful. While triggers can be risky as you've seen, I've had a reticulated trigger for 3 years in a larger reef tank with no issues. I've also found that adding two fish at the same time cuts down on both aggression by the existing fish and the new fish (especially if you've quarantined them together).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419109981.831034.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419110003.745355.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom