Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Need to find a replacement for my trigger

Well, it seems that my attempt to keep a blue throat trigger has failed in that he is going to end up killing my clowns if I don't rehome him. So I've been trying to find a sizable fish that can take his place. The tank is a 90g mixed reef.

He was originally going after all the fish in the tank, but apparently he got sick of the tang spearing him in retaliation and the wrasse is too fast so he started taking his anger out on the clowns instead.

Currently my stock is:
2 - Occ Clowns
1 - Snowflake blenny
1 - Pink Spot goby
1 - McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1 - Yellow Tang

The yellow tang is still a little guy at around 3" so my tank looks very very empty without the trigger in it. I'm not particularly worried about my inverts staying safe but would prefer something that wouldn't keep trying to murder my clowns. Just throw some suggestions at me

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Marine beta? Or how about a couple ladies for your mccoskers so he really struts his stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Any of the dwarf Angels should be a good fit, such as a flame angel. If you want larger, fox face is a good choice as it gets large but is usually peaceful. While triggers can be risky as you've seen, I've had a reticulated trigger for 3 years in a larger reef tank with no issues. I've also found that adding two fish at the same time cuts down on both aggression by the existing fish and the new fish (especially if you've quarantined them together).
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419109981.831034.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	258942Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419110003.745355.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	258943

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Rockster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

fin, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com