Need to know something about banded coral shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know a site says they are scavengers, but those claws look pretty tough. It wouldn't attack any of my fish while they were sleeping would it?

Yes you some times wake up with a fish with a ripped fin but it usually heals in a day. They are the meanest shrimp besides a mantis and can't live with any other shrimp. They also will eat pods and pretend to be a cleaner shrimp and just poke at the fish with their claws no major damage though and by far the coolest shrimp. Mine has a 5 inch arm span he is huge and my trigger wont mess with him. :mrgreen:

I have a pair in my 55 and wouldnt trade them for anything...really cool shrimp. I also have some peppermints in there as well and they dont have problems with each other. The shrimp leave the maroon clowns alone, but most things would :wink:

I have one in my 72 gal. and it lives with two cleaners, one peppermint and one pistol shrimp. No problems.

I guess I'll be adding one soon then. I've been adding some live rock recently and have also found out that the copper levels in my tank are safe so now I can start adding inverts. I like that since I don't plan on starting another sw for a very long time. Too bad my tank is only a 29 gallon.

just in case you werent aware....the only safe level for copper with inverts is non existant.

I had a water test done at my lfs. The test scale was dark blue to no color, dark blue being high copper. No color showed up in the test. I figured I would make sure by getting a snail first.

Back
Top Bottom